Stove pipe/chimney through combustible wall into existing masonry chimney

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

acp104

Jan 14, 2016
NW Illinois
Hi folks,
I would like to install an older wood stove (6" pipe) in a shed with an existing exterior masonry chimney. Searching this site and other online info, I've found a few different methods for the wall pass through and connection to the chimney with varying clearance to combustibles requirements. I'd like to keep the clearances to a minimum and this is the best option I've found so far, but its cashy. https://www.northlineexpress.com/6-...niyfWiIL_4E22NVVJpMH1rI7d540XOVt8ChoCJVzw_wcB

I figured I could also use separate pieces to create a similar setup cheaper using a 12" section of double wall pipe into the masonry chimney surrounded by a thimble and a single wall adapter towards the stove. The building is currently unfinished, and has studs 24" on center. The masonry chimney is 16" wide (7" flue tile). There is currently a 6" hole through the exterior wooden wall directly into the chimney. The previous owners evidently created the 6" hole and stuffed a single wall pipe directly into it. I really need some kind of thimble/stub pipe into chimney combo that allows me to remove a less than 16" square or circle from the exterior wall so the chimney continues to cover the hole in the siding for the pipe but I have proper clearance to combustibles. I will not be able to install the outer half of a standard wall pass through thimble from the outside of the building due to the chimney already being there. I could put it in from the inside and just caulk or tapcon it to the chimney. I do plan to insulate and sheet the interior walls of the building.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I am aware that I'd be a lot better off installing a liner in the existing chimney vs just piping the stove into the existing 7' flue.

Do the wall pass thru it has everything you need and is tested for the application.

Status
Not open for further replies.