Stove Pipe Crackling Sound

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MrKenmore

Nov 12, 2006
The past couple of start ups I have noticed the single wall stove pipe in the house has this crackling sound like rice krispies. Now it only occurs for a short time and goes away completely once I shut the door and the stove is only getting air through the intake. Is this creosote flakes?

Specs:

Jotul Oslo 500
Single wall pipe with 2 45 degree bends inside (6"). Room ceiling is 9'2".
Total of 9 feet of class A chimney pipe (8").

Thanks. I have read some other posts on this but not the specifics on the sound stopping once you close the door and reduce the airflow.

Sounds like it could be creosote drying out. I've always thought of it as a tinkling sound but different ears, etc. Pull it apart and check it out. If anything it will give you piece of mind.

Matt

it is most likely cresote falling.

Usually nothing to worry about but check it to make sure.

Edit: double post

Blkbeard said:
I always thought that was just the sound of the metal expanding and contracting.
That's what I thought too..

I'm with blackbeard. My pipe makes lots of noise as it expands when new heat is introduced. Less noise as it cools unless it is the sudden type of cooling like when you turn down the primary air too fast and snuff the secondaries. It's a tick tick tick though vs. a crackle. A crackle might be the creosote shrinking and peeling off, falling. Sounds are tough to diagnose but there ain't nothin quiet about a metal flue pipe heating up and cooling down.

Status
Not open for further replies.