Stove pipe damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

MIDWAY

Dec 30, 2011
North East Iowa
Hi all, first time poster, long time lurker...

Based upon what I've been reading in this forum, it seems to me like my PE Super 27 needs a chimney pipe damper to help control and or tweak the burns.

I get good burns off of well seasoned wood, but they have a tendency of going nuclear at some point during the burn, no matter how early I turn the air down. Without a blower I would peek out with stove top temps over 800 deg, on medium loads alone. The blower keeps things reasonable, but the chimney (triple wall) is well over 300 degrees surface at the ceiling.

My question is this: I have a triple wall six inch chimney coming out of the stove. Where is the best place to install, and what is the best way to do it? Good brand names recommendations are welcomed as well.

Greetings. What brand stove pipe is this and how tall is the total flue? Triple-wall usually is not used to connect the stove. Can you post a shot of the setup?

769521056_2735853502_0.jpg

Not to sure on the pipe length. Best guess is 12-16 Ft. See picture for in house setup.

Ok, that looks like double-wall pipe connecting to the triple-wall at the ceiling. 16 ft of pipe shouldn't be creating a draft issue. I'm wondering if you have an air leak. One thing to check is the ash dump door. It's easy to get a chunk of charcoal stuck in it. That will prevent it from closing tightly. Also check the door gasket with the dollar bill test the next time the stove is cool.

How thick are the splits you are typically burning?

Ash dump is shut correctly and sealed with a good amount of ash. Door gasket checks solid and true. Split size is typically larger than normal. However, split size doesn't seem to matter, nor does wood type or age. It always goes nuclear at some point and maxes out the stove stop temp unless I use the blower.

I have a PE Spectrum and I have the same issue, im going to put in a pipe dampener in. With ours it goes from 0-60 fast it seems ill have it glowing red in a blink of an eye on any setting other than having it choked right down.

I've had the same trouble with my Super 27 as well with an all interior class A chimney. I bought everything brand new and had it proffesionally installed. Did it since day one. It seems you are good up to certain point, then it just takes off. I dont have a ash dump but I did chec everything else. Im sorry if I missed it, but who makes your pipe? Mine is made by excel and they offer a damper section.

Status
Not open for further replies.