Stove Pipe Damper......

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GearHd6

Jun 8, 2008
Northeast, CT
Well i've recently started burning my "new to me" non EPA Jotul 8 wood stove. It keeps the house plenty hot, maybe too hot. The stove collar is 7" and I installed a double wall stainless 8" chimney. The Chimney consists of two 4' sections with about 5' of stove pipe inside the room. My question is: I installed a pipe damper just a little up the pipe from the stove. Should I be using this damper to control my burn or should I just be using the draft wheel on the stoves door to control the burn? Am I lowering the pipe temp by closing down the pipe damper in turn creating excess creasote? Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

That's a pretty short chimney. It doesn't sound like a pipe damper is needed at all. Regulate it with the front air control. Have you checked the gaskets on the stove? If the stove is leaking air, the damper may not be able to fully regulate the fire.

In order to burn cleanly, the stove needs to burn reasonably hot. Try for at least 350-400 degree stove top temps Dampering it down to a smolder is going to make it smoky and that will increase creosote production. You're better off burning smaller, hot fires and letting them go out if the house is warm enough. When it gets cold outside then you can burn longer fires.

How large is the area that the stove is in? How large is the house?

It is a short chimney. Its just a small ranch with a small pitch roof and the chimney goes through the roof about half way up so about 4' is in the attic and the other 4' protrudes through the roof.

I've got all new gaskets on the door, glass and removeable top so I think it's sealed the best it'll ever get.

The living room the wood stove is in is 13'x22' so 286 sq/ft. The house is only 1060 sq/ft which doesn't include a half finished basement but i'm not trying to heat the basement.

Great that you fixed her up before burning. I'd just burn shorter, half fires until you need more reserves. Try a morning and evening fire. It's hard to heat a small house 24/7 without a cat stove.

So just try and control it with the air control on the door of the stove and leave the pipe damper wide open? Whats the point of the pipe damper then?

A pipe damper is usually used to control strong draft. If the stove had twice the amount of pipe on it, then I'd start using it. We had 16 ft on the old 602 and after the wood was charred, I'd damper down the stove and set the stack damper about 50% closed to extend the burn. You could try this, but with the short stack it may get smoky, especially if it's windy or on low pressure days when it is not so cold outside.

Do you have a thermometer? Great tool to monitor stove and pipe temps. I recommend one for each the stove top and stove pipe.

No I don't have any thermometers. I guess I should probably get some. BeGreen mentioned 350-400 stove top temps. What should I look for pipe temp wise? I don't want to die of heat exhaustion, haha. Its been in the teens at night and 30's here for a high the past couple days so its not like its real warm out.

Try and keep the stove pipe temps above 250 during the main stage of the fire, as the fire dies down to the coaling stage there are little creosote gases left to worry about.

Todd said:
Try and keep the stove pipe temps above 250 during the main stage of the fire, as the fire dies down to the coaling stage there are little creosote gases left to worry about.

Ok, thats very helpful information and makes a lot of sense. Thanks.

GrHead,

I just purchased a pre-EPA Jotul Model #8 last night. Would you know of any links to a Pre EPA Model 8 owner's manual that I could download? The stove was stored outside, and I have some work to do.

flyingms

flyingms said:
GrHead,

I just purchased a pre-EPA Jotul Model #8 last night. Would you know of any links to a Pre EPA Model 8 owner's manual that I could download? The stove was stored outside, and I have some work to do.

flyingms

I wish I could help but i've searched high and low for an owners manual as well and have come up with nothing. But I do know the stove pretty well now, if you need any help with it just let me know. Its a great stove but dang does it throw some heat. It throws a little more heat that our little ranch really needs. They definitely under rated this stove. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.