Q&A Stove pipe direction

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

QandA

Staff member
Nov 27, 2012
Question:

Re: Stove pipe direction Howdy, I was hoping you could tell me why the instruction manual in my woodstove says to mount chimney pipe with the crimp towards the stove? It looks to me that you would want to funnel the smoke towards the chimney instead of away from it. The info is on page 5, figure 2, of the Jotul 3 CB woodstove. I have read the same instructions on a previous stove I owned. The only thing I can figure is when your stove is smoldering this would keep your condensation from dripping out into your house. Please explain if you can. Thanks, Bob

Answer:

You got it. Water contains 20%+ moisture and if you ran the pipes the other way you'd have a smelly house. Since the chimney maintains a negative draft (suction) it really should not matter as far as smoking. Correct installation calls for using furnace cement and screws on the stovepipe joints.

Status
Not open for further replies.