stove pipe fire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ffspeed

Dec 14, 2009
Rome, N.Y.
This maybe a dumb question, but I have got to ask it any ways. I have seen chimney fires from a fire place, and from wood stove. Do pellet stove catch the exhaust pipe on fire, if not cleaned right.

ffspeed said:
This maybe a dumb question, but I have got to ask it any ways. I have seen chimney fires from a fire place, and from wood stove. Do pellet stove catch the exhaust pipe on fire, if not cleaned right.
I would say its possible but not very probable.
If you clean out the piping on a regular basis all contaminants should be removed and any risk of an exhaust pipe fire would be gone.
If you burn a low fire there is more possibility of contaminants in the exhaust.
Point is if you clean your pellet stove the correct way I don't see a risk of a fire.

Can't say it's impossible, but the chances are slim.

Pellet stoves don't form creosote in the pipe like a fireplace or woodstove can. Wood pellets are burned at a higher temp and more completely in the burnpot, plus the flue pipe doesn't get that hot.

On my way to work a few years ago, I go by this guys home and see flames shooting up out of the top of his chimney!

I pull in, pound on the door and he answers and i say "hey your chimney is on fire" He replys, Heck it does it all the time not to worry, then silence, I did not know what to say, I just walked away and was, you guessed it late for work.

pelletizer said:
On my way to work a few years ago, I go by this guys home and see flames shooting up out of the top of his chimney!

I pull in, pound on the door and he answers and i say "hey your chimney is on fire" He replys, Heck it does it all the time not to worry, then silence, I did not know what to say, I just walked away and was, you guessed it late for work.
At least you stopped and told him. You could have just kept on going to work, and used your cell phone. I bet his attitude would have been a lot different if it was the fire chief kicking in his door, instead of knocking on it. I had a chimney fire, and knew it, but still thank the person for stopping.

I used to burn wood and you know it when you have a chimney fire; sounds like a train coming thru where santa is suposed to..at least you stopped and told him. One day you'll driving by and the house will be leveled; you 'll go up to him and say "hey flames shooting out of the chmney not such a good thing, ahye" hehehe

Live and Learn :red:

Can't say for sure on that.

One thought I have: By the time you have enough material to start a chimney fire you'd probably have enough corresponding ash buildup to go with it to impeding your stoves performance (search the archives for lazy flame) that you will be forced to clean the pipe long before you might ever have a chimney fire.

Of course this does not stop some dope that doesn't know a healthy flame from running it anyway.

people that i bought my house from thought that a chimney fire was a safe way to clean out a chimney. i had the chimney inspected becuase i had every intention of using it. inspector told me it was unsafe and needed a liner. my solution was to buy a pellet stove and a brand new venting system. i feel that pellet stoves are safer, require less maintaince, and are much cheaper to vent. pellet fuel is also easier to deal with. its already dried and seasoned, doesnt have to be split, and is easier to obtain. the neighbor's informed me that they thought chimney fires were aceptable. they saw flames comming out of the chimney the one day and called them. they told them they were cleaning out the chimney. NOT TOO BRIGHT.

chimney also had other issues. not enough masonary seperated the wall from the thimble and it touches the eves at the top. well now im going to have to eventually have the chimney demolished. i will never use it. if i ever when with wood far in the future i would have to get a class a chimney pipe. i have to be smart, not stupid. i value my house and my life

Status
Not open for further replies.