Stove pipe heat shield

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen in SoKY

Feeling the Heat
Nov 20, 2008
Southern Kentucky
I've replaced a gas fireplace/double wall vent with Class A (Dura Plus) chimney for freestanding wood stove. Although my interior chase measures 3'X5', to center the Class A through the hole at the top (Metal cap on stone chase) meant that the vertical stove pipe will have only 8" clearance from the back wall in the alcove I've created. The stove itself will sit just outside the "Alcove" & vents from the back so I'll only have one 90* elbow then straight up the class A. Clearances are all great with the exception of the stove pipe. While I'm familiar with double wall stove pipe, I'd prefer to go with single thereby salvaging considerable heat from the 68" vertical run. What would you folks recomend as a heat shield on the wall to reduce my clearance to the 8" I have? Thanks very much for your help.

Cement board with at least a one inch space behind it.

if i were you i would consider putting class a all the way down to the stove. if not all the heat produced from the stovepipe will be trapped in your "huge" chase. with the top sealed you will trap all the heat inside the chase with reg stovepipe. a class a pipe will decrease your pipe temarature considerably and you wont have to worry about your clearences. i dont think you will "loose" alot of heat this way. with your pipe in a chase you have to count on your stove to produce the heat anyway. WG

Thanks. Are the "Stove pipe heat shields" effective & safe? I note they're UL listed, but wondered what the experts here thought of them? BTW, my chase is seperated from the "alcove" by the new drywall ceiling. I've basically put in a 5'wide X 36" deep closet without doors at the base of the chase where the 0 clearance gas fireplace was. 8' from floor to new ceiling & Dura plus sqare ceiling support box with class A above. I assumed the opening at top was reasonably centered so I'd have adequate clearance for stove pipe. After demolition I realized the opening was much further to the rear than center, hence my current problem. Thanks for all your help.

Stovepipe heat shields are only good for a max of a 50% clearance reduction, which gets you (for single-wall pipe) from 18" to 9". I think you should go with double-wall connector pipe. What little loss of heat to the space you experience will be made up for by keeping the flue gases hotter on the way up & out, and thus less tendency for creosote condensation in the system. The heat you realize in the living space comes primarily from the stove itself. Allowing the flue gas stream to remain plenty hot pays dividends down the road. You'll have a happier overall system. Rick

I ran my stove pipe 10" from the rear drywall. I used double wall pipe and it worked great. The stove makes plenty of heat. If you are relying on that relatively short run of single wall for required heating then you ought to be considering a larger stove.

One piece of telescoping double wall pipe will get the job done.

Status
Not open for further replies.