Stove pipe help - double wall

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RSNovi

Feeling the Heat
May 12, 2010
Michigan
Hello all,

I am about to pull off my stove pipe and I wanted to get your opinion on a few things. I think there is a dead bird in it stinking, but I am questioning the original installation.

I don't have a connector on the stove. They simply cut the double wall and slipped the inside in the stove flange and the outside over the stove flange. The problem is that every time I take the stove pipe off is that the inside slides out of the pipe and I am never sure if I get it all back together properly.

Should I get a stove connector and a telescoping pipe for the vertical section? Also how are you supposed to disconnect the pipe from the thimble? I had a hard time with that last time.

65279917353f80db2407c699ca8f7a5a.jpg
0a806c0661b64500b70e6d18ab482b3f.jpg
2d50abee2e60b80da1c9f07757d25797.jpg

Wow, that is a very unusual set up. Does it draft ok? 3 90 degree turns is very undesirable in a chimney system.

Are you saying that the double wall pipe actually comes apart in 2 pieces? I would definitely want a telescoping piece of pipe in there if I was doing it. I would really consider taking it all down and re-working it. Offset using 2 45's instead of those 90's.

I second the two 45's. However, if it's working fine now, probably not a problem. Problem meaning draft. The better solution would be the two 45's, but I've seen plenty of installations like this that work just fine.

As to the lack of a stove adaptor, again, best option is to have one. However, I also don't see some real negative about what they did. Except for the hassle you are having getting it all back together. Adaptors aren't inexpensive, maybe this was a cost-saving measure. Or someone didn't know what he or she was doing.

My stoves do have the adaptors with telescoping pipe sections from them. It does make disassembly and reassembly easy. However, I wrestled for 25 years with a set-up more like yours, trying to save money when I had very little.

Depends on you, really. If you want or need to improve your draft a little, and you want to make disassembly easier, and if you have the cash, you can make the change.

Two 45's were suggested when this went in, but they were opted out.

The reason the adaptor was omitted on your install is because of the shape of the flue collar on the stove. Jotuls have an oddly shaped flue collar on the inside that prevents the stove top adaptor from sitting flat, often time the double wall pipe will fit much nicer than the adaptor.

Thanks all. It does draft fine because there is 30' of chimney on the other side.

It sounds like it is not a big deal overall. Webby's point about the adapter has me wondering if I might end up with a less aesthetically pleasing solution at the stove connection.

How does the pipe disconnect at the thimble? Last time I unscrewed it one joint before the thimble and I thought the sweep who cleaned it once got it apart right at the thimble.

Hi RS, first thing, nice Oslo, blue black is my favorite Jotul color. Setup looks ok, if it drafts well. Take screws loose, go from there. Be careful, don't break anything and if you're not comfortable doing it, get a chimney guy to do it. Like your hearth setup too...

You have a Duravent system, the stove pipe adaptor at the thimble has crimps on it that often prevent the DVL pipe from being removed. So you might want to just leave that first short section of pipe in place and just work around it. This has been changed in the last few years, first they removed the crimps, now the adaptor is actually a short piece of DVL that's built into the adaptor. It's a much nicer piece to work with.

I tore it all apart today. No dead bird in the pipe. The stove must still stink from the one I found in there a few weeks ago because I plugged the chimney at the tee.

I decided to not change anything. One thing I can say is that the horizontal pipe was dirty while the vertical pipe was very clean.

I ordered a poly brush to clean the inside pipe since I normally use a sooteater.

Thanks to all on the thoughts and ideas.

Status
Not open for further replies.