Stove Pipe Installation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

erikbrooks

Oct 8, 2008
NJ
Installing my Harman XXV today and a basic question as it applies to the direction I should use for installing the stove pipe from the XXV to the flue. I need to run a length of stove pipe up vertical about 3 feet, then a 90 degree bend, then another 3 feet horizontal to my flue collar.

Which end is up? Do I install the crimped end on the stove, and work it up that way or vice versa? I heard that woodstoves have it opposite of pellet but I wanted to be sure.

Any help appreciated.

Once you install the appliance adapter onto the stove exhaust, there's only one way it will go.

BTW, what is the rest of the exhaust? have you checked your EVL for this set-up? What you described so far is already at EVL of 13...are you using 4" pipe?

From the aforementioned setup I go to a flue in the wall, another 2 fee horizontal, then 20 feet vertical in a 9x9 flue.

Setup was seen by my stove shop tech - he seemed to think I did not need to run 4" pellet pipe up the flue.

The stove pipe I am asking about is 6" black, and runs from the stove to the wall. Not sure I understand your answer though - where does the crimped end on the first piece of pipe coming off of the stove go? on the stove or into the 90 degree elbow?

You never said what brand of pipe you're using. And where did you get 6" pellet pipe??????

It's not "pellet pipe", it's 6" black stove pipe with a snap lock seam.

So I guess I forgot to mention that i have the XXV top flue kit, which allows for installation of a 6" stove pipe off of the top of the stove in stead of the back. So instead of using 4" pellet vent, I use 6" stove pipe from the stove to the wall where the flue collar is.

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 443
Sorry i didn't respond after you mentioned that you aren't using pellet-approved pipe, but i don't want to get into something I'm not comfortable with.

BTW, WHY aren't you using the pellet pipe for at least the beginning of the flue set-up? I'm not familiar with the XXV top vent kit.

Normally the XXV vents out the back of the stove towards the bottom, the top flue kit redirects out the top. Here is what the Harman manual says:

"The Top Flue option attaches to the exhaust on the rear of the stove, and extends it to the top with a six inch stub. This gives the appearance of a wood stove and also allows venting with existing single wall, connector. A 1 inch piece of 4" pellet vent is included to act as an insulator only. Note: The top flue adaptor is not approved for use with pellet pipe. It is only tested for use with chimney connector (6- inch pipe) into an existing "class A" chimney."

So as stated, I am using 6" stove pipe off of this kit - do you know if the crimped end of the 6" pipe attaches to the stove?

Thanks BTW, for your help so far!

yes the crimped end goes inside the top flue adapter

Interesting...I never knew there was a pellet stove that actually called for regular stove pipe.

macman said:
Interesting...I never there was a pellet stove that actually called for regular stove pipe.

That adapter in the photo looks like its 6" to 3" to me. But I quess if you want the real woodstove look. 6" is the way to go.

The adapter in the photo is a little misleading - the 6" pipe goes directly into it. Harman supplies a 12" length of insulated 4" pellet vent that goes onto the adapter, the 6" stove pipe goes over the 4" and into the outer ring of adapter.

Yeah, that's my leg... photo faux pas

Status
Not open for further replies.