Stove pipe issue at storm collar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JR1

Oct 4, 2016
Fairport, ny
I hope I can accurately describe this issue as I am not an expert what so ever on this topic.
my nephew was helping me sweep my wood stove pipe and did it so vigorously that the brackets creating spacing at the pipe under the storm collar were broken. The brackets are on the outside of the pipe, visible from inside my attic when I am looking up through the roof at the stove pipe. The top of the pipe which exits out the roof line now has a bit of play in it. I believe it is a double walled pipe. Not that it is relevant, but the stove is a Vermont Castings Resolute which is probably 30 years old. I have never had any issues with the pipe or stove. I am a nut about doing the sweeping myself and should never have had my nephew help me!!!
I guess my question is, if the pipe is double walled, should I be concerned at all about heat build up in this space. I have jammed some metal pieces between the pipe and storm collar "insides" to minimize the play and create that space. I know it's not a permanent solution, but I dread having someone look at this and tell me I need a whole new pipe, since the pipe is over 30 years old. And, I am pretty sure there are no replacement parts out there. Any comments would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much. I hope I have explained it well enough.

Is there an offset in the attic or does the pipe go straight up from stove to chimney cap? At 30 yrs old it's time to have a certified sweep examine the chimney system and it may be time for replacement.

Sounds like a metalbestos flashing. The standoff is there to simply keep the pipe centered in the flashing. This ensures that proper clearance is maintained and allows some air movement. If you've still got 2" of clearance and some air gap you should be fine. But I really feel that you might want to replace it, it's lived it's life..

Is there an offset in the attic or does the pipe go straight up from stove to chimney cap? At 30 yrs old it's time to have a certified sweep examine the chimney system and it may be time for replacement.
Thanks all for your comments. Pipe is a straight shot through the roof.

The good news is that generally straight up the least expensive to replace.

Status
Not open for further replies.