stove pipe "jog" - near the stove...or near the ceiling?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LiveOak

Dec 13, 2010
central Florida
Newbie here, and maybe this doesn't matter much at all, but...

I'm getting ready to install our new Jotul F100 to our chimney ceiling connector.
I had to factor a jog forward in the pipe with two 45s in order to get the stove clearance right.
My question is, should I put the two 45s up by the ceiling and then go straight down to the stove - or vice versa?

Here are the details:

1st floor, corner installation of Jotul F100,
DVL up to ceiling support,
then 23' straight up run of Class A Duratech through 2nd floor interior chase, attic, and out.

If it really makes no difference, it would then just be a aesthetic decision.

Any thoughts would be appreciated...Thanks!

Purists seem to like it better near the ceiling so that draft can build easier. We tried both and prefer it at the stove level. Aesthetically it is less noticeable when combined with the mass of the stove than the visual contrast against white walls and ceiling. Our setup is ~20 ft. straight-up DVL pipe. Works well.

Is that ~6'+ 23' of pipe totally 29ft? If so, you should be fine either way.

If it can go either way, I would do the jog at the stove. I think it looks better, but I am SURE it cleans better. I disconnect the stove, pull the 45's and straight shot to cap.

Thanks guys for the quick response! I knew there'd be some personal experience, good advice, and some points I didn't even think of.
I also agree that putting it near the stove would probably look a little nicer (my wife is thinking that too). And yes, with almost 30' of total run, I don't think draft will be a problem (if anything, too much).

It's amazing what I've learned already from this board, and I'm hoping I'll have more things to post as I start using my new stove.

Thanks,
Keith

I have the offset by the stove, works just fine.
I clean from the the top down, the brush can negosiate bends fairly easily.

Attachments

• Picture 170.jpg
    Picture 170.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 526
Blaze King installation manual makes a pretty big thing out of wanting the pipe to go straight up for 30-36" until any bends, so I was careful to put my "jog" (I think "offset" is the more usual terminology) as high as possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.