Stove Pipe Noise?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

albertj03

Minister of Fire
Oct 16, 2009
Southern Maine
I know it's normal for the stove itself to make noises when it heats up and cools down. I get the tink, tink, tink noise but this winter I've noticed that my stove pipe makes noise during the warm up period mostly. The noise the pipe makes is a little different but similar in that it's metal getting hot. I don't recall ever hearing noise from the pipe the last two winters and it was cleaned before I started burning. I posted a pic below and the sound seems to be coming from right around where thermometer is. I never had a thermometer until this season and thought it could to culprit so I'll take it off next reload and to see if I still get the noise. Anyone else ever get noise from their stove pipe?

61ef83fb.gif

It's just a cheapo magnet from the Depot =/

I would like to disconnect the pipe to take a look in there but the last time I tried connectng stove pipe to the stove collar I had a hell of a time so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back in there. The thermometer usually shows between 250 - 300 degrees a couple times it's gotten to 350 so it seems like if there was creosote burning in there it would be a whole lot hotter. Then again who knows how accurate it is. I'll stick it in the oven and see what it reads today. I did look up my chimney today and it looked nice and clean - just a fine, thin, gray coating on the sides.

The pipe expands and contracts a bit with temp changes. I have about 20 ft of exposed pipe up to our cathedral ceiling and the sound is pretty normal when stoking our stove.

albertj03 said:
I would like to disconnect the pipe to take a look in there but the last time I tried connectng stove pipe to the stove collar I had a hell of a time so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back in there. The thermometer usually shows between 250 - 300 degrees a couple times it's gotten to 350 so it seems like if there was creosote burning in there it would be a whole lot hotter. Then again who knows how accurate it is. I'll stick it in the oven and see what it reads today.

If it is creasote, its because your burning at much too low of a tempature. We cruise around 450-500 degrees, but I try to boost it to 650 every few days to help burn off some creasote from our overnight slow burns. 250-300 seems like a smoldering or smoky little fire, which is likely to produce more creasote than higher temps would.

logger said:
albertj03 said:
I would like to disconnect the pipe to take a look in there but the last time I tried connectng stove pipe to the stove collar I had a hell of a time so I'm afraid I wouldn't be able to get it back in there. The thermometer usually shows between 250 - 300 degrees a couple times it's gotten to 350 so it seems like if there was creosote burning in there it would be a whole lot hotter. Then again who knows how accurate it is. I'll stick it in the oven and see what it reads today.

If it is creaosote, its because your burning at much too low of a tempature. We cruise around 450-500 degrees, but I try to boost it to 650 every few days to help burn off some creasote from our overnight slow burns. 250-300 seems like a smoldering or smoky little fire, which is likely to produce more creasote than higher temps would.

My thoughts on the pipe temp are that I have a very small firebox, 1.3 cf I believe, so therefore I can only put 2 or 3 splits in there depending on the size. I usually do burn the fire nice and hot but with only 2 or 3 small - medium sized splits maybe there just isn't enough fuel to get the stove pipe up to the temps that you guys and girls with larger stoves can get to. I don't have a stove top thermometer yet so next time I'm out I'm planning to pick one up. With the temps where they are the stove throws off plenty of heat and keeps the 1st floor above it a nice 70 - 71 degrees and the chimne looks clean on the inside.

Franks said:
When a little bit of glazed creosote heats up it can crackle a little.

it does kind of sound like a crackle. Could have got a little creosote in the pipe from a couple of less than seasoned red oak splits I burned. I'm going to have to unhook the pipe and have a look. Any tricks to getting it back in the collar?

I often hear the creaking of the metal in both the stove and occasionally in the stove pipe . . . once last year when I was burning some questionable wood and not burning hot enough (I was so young and foolish back then) I did hear what sounded like someone was pouring a box of Rice Krispies down the stove pipe . . . in hindsight I believe this was some creosote falling/cooking off . . . happy to say I haven't heard that sound since then.

Status
Not open for further replies.