1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Stove pipe options

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by slofr8, Oct 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slofr8

slofr8 New Member

Loc:
    Northern Maine
    Morning,
    I finished installing my slate hearth pad, got the stove in place, and called two places about double wall stove pipes and didn't get a very clear answer.
    I have a straight shot out of the top of my stove to a stainless insulated chiminey. I have cathedral ceilings so the stove pipe will be 10 feet long.
    One dealer said I need an adjustable slip pipe (48-68") and a couple of regular double wall pipe sections.
    Another dealer said all I needed was a 1' slip section and the rest regular.
    First guy didn't have the long slip on hand but was getting some next week. Second guy didn't sound like he had everything I needed either.
    Is this an unusual setup or did I catch these guys off guard?
    Next Friday I plan on going down to the first guys place and getting what I need. What would be your advice be? Should I special order something to avoid too many sections?
    Thanks. Dan.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Roospike

Roospike New Member

Loc:
    Eastern Nebraska
    The cheaper route i would think is going to be the 1' slip pipe and the rest stright double wall pipe. I used only 1 double wall telescope pipe ( slip pipe ) with my stove and it was 66" long . The reasion i went with on long telescope pipe is so i only had to have 1 pipe and not 2 or 3. My 66" telescope pipe was $95.

Over all you could go both ways ....... what is the cheaper way your were quoted in price?
  3. G-rott

G-rott Member

Loc:
    Petoskey Michigan
    Slofr8,

They may both be "right", some compinies make the pipe that connects your SS to the single wall a 1' slip (inside) section. Others have a short crimp to accept the single wall.

I like using as few sections as possible, I would look for a pair of 48" sections and a ~24" section to complete wheather I needed slip or regular would be determined by the smoke pipe adapter from the SS (slip or short).

Garett
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.