Stove pipe options

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slofr8

Sep 19, 2006
Northern Maine
Morning,
I finished installing my slate hearth pad, got the stove in place, and called two places about double wall stove pipes and didn't get a very clear answer.
I have a straight shot out of the top of my stove to a stainless insulated chiminey. I have cathedral ceilings so the stove pipe will be 10 feet long.
One dealer said I need an adjustable slip pipe (48-68") and a couple of regular double wall pipe sections.
Another dealer said all I needed was a 1' slip section and the rest regular.
First guy didn't have the long slip on hand but was getting some next week. Second guy didn't sound like he had everything I needed either.
Is this an unusual setup or did I catch these guys off guard?
Next Friday I plan on going down to the first guys place and getting what I need. What would be your advice be? Should I special order something to avoid too many sections?
Thanks. Dan.

slofr8 said:
Morning,
I finished installing my slate hearth pad, got the stove in place, and called two places about double wall stove pipes and didn't get a very clear answer.
I have a straight shot out of the top of my stove to a stainless insulated chiminey. I have cathedral ceilings so the stove pipe will be 10 feet long.
One dealer said I need an adjustable slip pipe (48-68") and a couple of regular double wall pipe sections.
Another dealer said all I needed was a 1' slip section and the rest regular.
First guy didn't have the long slip on hand but was getting some next week. Second guy didn't sound like he had everything I needed either.
Is this an unusual setup or did I catch these guys off guard?
Next Friday I plan on going down to the first guys place and getting what I need. What would be your advice be? Should I special order something to avoid too many sections?
Thanks. Dan.

The cheaper route i would think is going to be the 1' slip pipe and the rest stright double wall pipe. I used only 1 double wall telescope pipe ( slip pipe ) with my stove and it was 66" long . The reasion i went with on long telescope pipe is so i only had to have 1 pipe and not 2 or 3. My 66" telescope pipe was $95.

Over all you could go both ways ....... what is the cheaper way your were quoted in price?

Slofr8,

They may both be "right", some compinies make the pipe that connects your SS to the single wall a 1' slip (inside) section. Others have a short crimp to accept the single wall.

I like using as few sections as possible, I would look for a pair of 48" sections and a ~24" section to complete wheather I needed slip or regular would be determined by the smoke pipe adapter from the SS (slip or short).

Garett

Status
Not open for further replies.