Stove Pipe over mantle. Should I worry (more than I usual do)?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bkatzman

Nov 7, 2007
Upstate NY
A little background:

I am running 6 feet of typical stove pipe vertical (from the stove), then it turns 90 degrees and goes another 8 inches (to clear a brick wall that is topped with a 5 inch WOOD mantel) to get into the flue.

Question:

Do I need to shield or use some other kind of “special” pipe when clearing the wood mantel (btw the space between the bottom of the pipe and the top of the wood mantel is about 3 inches). I know that the previous owners ran it without “special” piping but I am a little nervous being that the pipe is so close to wood.

I was considering getting a 8 inch double wall pipe, putting the 6 inch pipe through it and then using an adapter (going from 8 to 6 inches) to surround the 8 inch double wall pipe and feed into the 6 inch flue.

Any ideas if this will be safe, or better ideas?

Thanks a lot you folks rule!

Bryce

Pictures would be good and I don't know what your best solution is but I know you can't do what you re doing. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Single wall stove pipe 18" to combustibles,Double wall stove pipe 6" to combustibles.Sorry

Ghettontheball said:
code is code & ins co likes code
hot air rises & creates a draft thus cooling area below which might be heated from radiant heat from the pipe. white mantle would be cooler. if u cant hold your hand on a surface its too hot= old wisdom
class a pipe needs 2" clearance

I think this points to your solution perhaps -

If your flue is classA, then run a T in it so that you now have ClassA headed straight out of the wall from your vertical run - run this ClassA section over the mantle (where you have your 3" clearance, thus you have 1" to spare) then connect in your connector pipe after it will be able to maintain proper clearances.

How close to the ceiling is this? Are you maintaining proper clearances there?

The chimney/flue is not Class A, the chimney is brick and the liner is porcelin or whatever material they use. I believe the ceiling is about 18''+ from the pipe.

Perhaps it would be easier/safer if I chisel some brick and then run the pipe straight from the stove right into the chimney and plug up the previous flue (which sits on top of the mantle).. It definitely seems like it would be safer, would remove a whole bunch of stove pipe and perhaps would improve draft!

Status
Not open for further replies.