Stove pipe paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

begreen

Mooderator
Staff member
Nov 18, 2005
South Puget Sound, WA
I just learned a new lesson about Duravent DVL pipe that may help others. When the installer refitted my pipe, the dude left a nice scratch on the telescoping section that I wasn't going to accept. There wasn't any more on the truck, but he said that it just needed a little touchup and left me a can of StoveBrite paint. That afternoon I masked off the walls behind the pipe and sprayed a little on the scratch. The surface paint immediately began to crinkle . Uh, oh...definitely not compatible. Now they need to come out again and replace the pipe.

I emailed DuraVent about this and got a nice response right away. They wrote that StoveBrite is acetone based. About 8 years ago DuraVent switched to a water-based paint. Since then StoveBrite is no longer compatible. They recommend using Krylon BBQ black instead.

PS: I've used several spray paints in the past and StoveBrite has the nastiest fumes I've met. This stuff will surely rot brain cells. Also, the nozzle orifice is too large for good spraying. Instead of a nice fan pattern the paint shoots out in a jet. So far I'm not impressed with this paint.

BeGreen said:
I just learned a new lesson about Duravent DVL pipe that may help others. When the installer refitted my pipe, the dude left a nice scratch on the telescoping section that I wasn't going to accept. There wasn't any more on the truck, but he said that it just needed a littletouchup and left me a can of StoveBrite paint. That afternoon I masked off the walls behind the pipe and sprayed a little on the scratch. The surface paint immediately began to crinkle . Uh, oh...definitely not compatible. Now they need to come out again and replace the pipe.

I emailed DuraVent about this and got a nice response right away. They wrote that StoveBrite is acetone based. About 8 years ago DuraVent switched to a water-based paint. Since then StoveBrite is no longer compatible. They recommend using Krylon BBQ black instead.

PS: I've used several paints in the past and StoveBrite has the nastiest fumes I've met. This stuff will surely rot brain cells. Also, it's nozzle orifice is too large for good spraying. Instead of a nice fan pattern the paint shoots out in a jet. So far I'm not impressed with this paint.

Good stuff to know. I used the StoveBrite on the Sierra this year because it matched the orginal color. I opened windows and doors etc.

Seems after the painting was finished I found the fumes. They sank from the first floor into the basement office and made me sick as a dog for two days.

Yes, I'll be returning the can when they replace the pipe. Based on experience I would only use this stuff outdoors or have a very good mask and fan running indoors.

I used the canned stuff to touch up scratches on my double wall pipe. The finish is different than the matte of the pipe so it doesn't look that good really. You can see the brush strokes too. You can't really see my pipe too much because it is back vented. I was afraid to use spray paint because I just pictured a big disaster. When I lit the stove the smell was kind of bad but I had only done touch up, not the whole pipe.

Status
Not open for further replies.