Stove pipe paint

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kenster

Minister of Fire
Jan 10, 2010
Texas- West of Houston
We have 15 feet of stove pipe/flue between our VC Vigilant and the ceiling. The black paint on the pipe could use some dressing up. Is there a preferred black hi-temp paint for this job? I'll want to brush it on. My Bride will make herself a widow if I try to spray paint in the house and I sure don't want to dismantle it to take it outside to paint.

After that, I'll probably need to hit the stove with some Rutland's.

Thanks!

Kenster said:
We have 15 feet of stove pipe/flue between our VC Vigilant and the ceiling. The black paint on the pipe could use some dressing up. Is there a preferred black hi-temp paint for this job? I'll want to brush it on. My Bride will make herself a widow if I try to spray paint in the house and I sure don't want to dismantle it to take it outside to paint.

Thanks!

Rutland and a few other manufactures offer brush on high temperature paint.

Will it work on stoves? Right now my defiant is a different color from my stovepipe. The stovepipe is brand spanking new, the stove is used.

Then again my wife has been complaining about not doing the stone facade yet.

Kenster said:

Thanks!

This is what they recommended by Lopi for our Liberty.

http://forrestpaint.com/index.php?page=hi-temp-paints

zap

Kenster said:

Thanks!

I never use paint, most stove shops have a black wood stove paste that you just rub on like you were waxing a car.... it takes care of rust but does not hide blemished as good as a solid paint, but makes the stove and pipe look nice... you can apply several coats and usally is good for a few years....

john_alaska said:
Kenster said:

Thanks!

I never use paint, most stove shops have a black wood stove paste that you just rub on like you were waxing a car.... it takes care of rust but does not hide blemished as good as a solid paint, but makes the stove and pipe look nice... you can apply several coats and usally is good for a few years....

John, you're saying I could use the same product - stove paste or stove and grill polish, to dress up the sheet metal pipe/flue? I'd be good with that if that will work.

Kenster said:
john_alaska said:
Kenster said:

Thanks!

John, you're saying I could use the same product - stove paste or stove and grill polish, to dress up the sheet metal pipe/flue? I'd be good with that if that will work.

I have used it for 30 years to give the stove a nice cllean look, it will have a little burn off smell, but a paint would also... I runs less than $10 a tube,,, use latex glove or you will end up with black hands and apply with cotton rag while the stove is cooled down...try it out on the back of side to see if you like it... you can apply as many coats as you want.. after application give it a good buff....

A quick note here, Stove Brite paints are NOT compatible with some stove pipe paint. I found this out the hard way with our Simpson DVL (double-wall) stove pipe. It causes the factory paint to bubble and wrinkle. For this pipe use a non-acetone based paint like Krylon High Temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.