Stove pipe Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kingfisher

Apr 2, 2009
Michigan thumb
I would like to put a stove in my basement and was wondering if I can run the stove pipe through my poured cement wall and up. It would seem safe rather then near any wood walls

You can do it correctly and safely either way you choose. Boring (correctly) a nice hole through a poured concrete wall requires some specialized equipment and doesn't come cheaply. The alternative to that would be just drilling/chiseling/pounding your way through...and I don't know how lucky you'd have to be to not come face to face with a piece of embedded steel rebar. Going through the wall would also mean (if I'm picturing it correctly) at least two 90° elbows in your flue, and then a long vertical run of exterior chimney. Generally speaking, the straighter the run of flue from the appliance to daylight, the better the draft, performance, and ease of cleaning. Also, if the chimney run can be installed internal to the envelope of the structure rather than outside, it will tend to remain warmer, thus thwarting to some extent the condensation of creosote inside it. Tell us more about the house, the floorplan, why you want the stove in the basement rather than upstairs, and what you see as the obstacles to a straight-up chimney from the basement through the house. Rick

In addition, a basement is a poor place for a wood stove. Those cement walls will rob most of the heat and believe it or not, it is difficult getting that warm air up to the other floors. Think long and hard about this before installing.

I have a 1650 sq ft ranch and I am going to put 1 inch insulation board on the basement walls

Status
Not open for further replies.