Stove pipe shields, how high?.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mushman

Mar 8, 2008
Long Island NY
Anyone know a good place to order them?, and do I need to go all the way up to the ceiling with them?.I was reading an article that said you need to only go up 36" from the stove top,does that sound right?, I figured all the way up would be best.
I called my stove dealer and he said ther is no such thing as a "stove pipe shield",I explained what they were and that I have found them on the internet, but he said there is no such product and tried to sell me on the double wall pipe.Makes me wonder if there is some other name for them?.

Howdy - I installed one of these:

http://doitbest.com/Chimney+Components-Imperial+Mfg+Group-model-BM0133-doitbest-sku-473634.dib

It allowed me to safely use single wall stovepipe in my workshop installation, even though the sub who installed the Class A chimney in my building ceiling & out through the attic & roof put it about 1 1/2" too close to the wall. I have a masonry hearth shield most of the way up the wall behind the stove & stovepipe, properly spaced out from the combustible wall. I used this heat shield on about the top 24" of stovepipe below where it connects to the chimney. Its length is adjustable. I can send you a pic if you want. Rick

Thanks Rick, Looks like I may just go with that.
Funny thing, I was just driving by a hardware store yesterday, and it had Do it best signs all over the store front.
I never noticed them before, free ship to store is a great option.I'm going to go in the store tomorrow and see if they carry them, otherwise I'll just have em' shipped over.
Thanks again.

Check me on this, but you only need such a shield if your vertical run of single wall pipe is to be closer than 18" from the combustible wall, and the installation of the shield only buys you back a fraction of that in reduced clearance...can't remember the exact allowance, maybe you can go to 15" or so. Since my problem was the placement of the Class A in relation to the wall, I ran my shield right up to where my stovepipe connects to the chimney adapter that goes through the ceiling. Do your homework and get it right. Anyway, be safe. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.