stove pipe snake gaiters?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jeffman3

Nov 20, 2007
S.W. Nebraska
OK, we have allot of snakes in the area where we cut wood! I have looked at snake gaiters, but I'm cheap and don't want to shell out 50 bucks! I talked to a guy I work with and he told me to get some 6" single wall stove pipe, cut it to length and call it good, any opinions? I do some leather work too, and was thinking I could even make some cuts and articulate full foot coverage, with leather hinges. And all cheaper then buying gaiters . What do you think? Worth the money to try?

Couldn't you just use put some grommet holes in some carpet remnants and wrap 'em around your legs. That's what I do to the bottom of my wading boots when I Salmon fish...with them on now you can walk confidently along those slippery rocks.

we don't have poisonous snakes around here, so maybe I am over reacting, but it would seem to me that homemade snake protection would be like buying a walmart parachute ! after springing for kevlar chaps for saw protection I'd certainly spend the bucks for protection from bites.

After travelling to areas where people are nonchalant about seeing poisonous snakes, spiders, scorpions, earthquakes, hurricanes, etc etc. I guess our blizzards, -40F temps and -80 wind chills, and Cessna sized mosquitoes don't seem so bad......

k
minnesota

kevin j said:
we don't have poisonous snakes around here, so maybe I am over reacting, but it would seem to me that homemade snake protection would be like buying a walmart parachute ! after springing for kevlar chaps for saw protection I'd certainly spend the bucks for protection from bites.

I do have Kevlar chaps, and use them religiously! Before I bought them I considered making a pair of heavy leather chaps. After some reading and research I decided that the leather while better then nothing, would not be sufficient protection. I am fallowing the same thought line here.

I have found that I can make or fabricate many things better then I could buy them. I built an all aluminum floor and deck in my boat, out of scrap from a company that makes bleachers, like the ones you see at the football field.( Way better then plywood! ) Just because I can buy a belt, doesn't mean I can't make a better one. I could buy a dog house, but I can build a better one, cheaper. I don't have to worry about production quotas and manufacturing speed.

I saw some gaiters that were nothing more then injected heavy grade plastic, my thinking is that if plastic will hold off a snake, steel will do a better job yet, and I can build it to fit me.

pecor said:
Then we can call you the Tin Man ;-P

If this works and I go ahead and build a pair I will try to post a pic. I'm think I will at least try. I can get the materials cheap, and I havn't found a down side to it yet, except that it will take some time to design and fabricate them.

Hey if want to look like the tin Man in the wizzard of Odds make your stovepipe gatores, I live in the state of LL beans major store and they sell gators cheap , but i doubt they would prevent a penetration of snakey licks. Get your self a tall pair of english wellies ...rubber pack boots or if you need more protection get some hip waders and then you can fish as well as gather wood. Thats as green as you can get

JPapiPE said:
Hey if want to look like the tin Man in the wizzard of Odds make your stovepipe gatores, I live in the state of LL beans major store and they sell gators cheap , but i doubt they would prevent a penetration of snakey licks....

I really don't care what I look like! I just can't afford a trip to the ER. :grrr: The chaps I have look goofy too. They are bright orange! I looked for a pair in a more subdued color, but decided that it really doesn't matter. The gaiters would be under the chaps anyway.

My cutting partner might find them a bit unattractive, but the judges at the wood lot beauty pageant might find them just a bold use of alternative material! Maybe if I paint them a nice shade of olive green? OH I know, bright pink with purple stripes and poke-a-dots?

I have yet to find a pair of snake gaiters for less then $25.00, and those were nothing more then injected plastic, and my stove pipe gaiters would do a way better job IMHO then that, and OMG less expensive! The only goal here is to keep fangs out flesh, and do it for the least amount of money possible, without compromising safety, possibly enhancing it. :snake:

I really think my idea is a good one, it seems that nobody else likes it. I still think I will make some, it's my wallet and my medical bills. I just thought I would share my idea.

Just think jeff you could start a new dance craze with your stove pipe gators...Call it "The Pipe snake Boogey"or maybe "the Pipe Snake Boogey"
Seriously L.L. Beans sells their famouse Bean Boot in sizes up to 22" high at my last look . and these uppers are leather. I think you'd be more comfortable in leather. Or you could go to the thrift shops and perhaps find a pair of leather pants which you tuck into your boots. I always hit the thrift stores.

Sorry I didn't mean to denigrate the seriousness of your post I am scared sh**less of snakes
Good luck Joe

Wouldn't the kevlar chaps protect you from a snake bite?? They stop a chainsaw.....

Gator eye said:
Wouldn't the kevlar chaps protect you from a snake bite?? They stop a chainsaw.....

Not really. They stop your chainsaw when the chain drags the material into the sprocket and "jams" it. Chaps are NOT puncture proof to the point that they would stop thorns or fangs.

Status
Not open for further replies.