Stove pipe thermometer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just changed my interior stove pipe from single to double wall. I had a wood stove thermometer on the single wall pipe. It's just a basic thermometer. What I'm wondering, is now that I have double wall pipe, do they make specific thermometers for double wall, or is the one I have fine?

Maybe since it's double wall I don't even need to be concerned about the temp, since I'm assuming the temp of the pipe will be a great deal lower since it's double walled? Any info would be greatly appreciated....

You'll need a probe type thermometer. The one you have won't work right.

Something like this one.
http://www.condar.com/Probe_Thermometers.html

Outside temp isn't as important as the flue gas temps inside, regardless of whether it's single or double wall. Knowing how hot the gases are tells you a lot about how you are burning your stove, and whether you're wasting heat up the pipe, or not hot enough to help avoid the cool gases condensing in the pipe and forming creosote.

Reactions: ToltingColtAcres
Put your old thermometer on the stove top and buy a new probe thermometer. One tells you what is going on with your stove, the flue temperature tells you what's going on with your fire. They are NOT the same.
This is my favorite: http://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=292
Set the alarm and a very loud buzz will tell you when your stove is over temps. You will be amazed how hot your fire can get when your old thermometer was reading OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.