Stove pipe thermometer question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

d.n.f.

Dec 14, 2007
Nelson BC
So I go to buy one (all my previous stoves already had one), and I see the package says that they are meant for single wall pipe. I am going to be using double wall. Should I still buy one or is there some other kind I should be looking for? These ones I were looking at had the magnet on em.

Now I realize that my previous two woodstoves had the same devices and were probably giving me inaccurate measurements as they were also double wall.

d.n.f. said:
So I go to buy one (all my previous stoves already had one), and I see the package says that they are meant for single wall pipe. I am going to be using double wall. Should I still buy one or is there some other kind I should be looking for? These ones I were looking at had the magnet on em.

Now I realize that my previous two woodstoves had the same devices and were probably giving me inaccurate measurements as they were also double wall.
you have double wall all the way to the stove

smokinj said:
d.n.f. said:

I don't have it installed yet. The little diagram on the back of the thermo box (highly technical schematics here) said it should be mounted 18" above the stove. 18" would be double wall pipe no?

The stove is in my garage (need a crane to get it upstairs cause the freaking stairs are too narrow).

d.n.f. said:
smokinj said:
d.n.f. said:

I don't have it installed yet. The little diagram on the back of the thermo box (highly technical schematics here) said it should be mounted 18" above the stove. 18" would be double wall pipe no?

The stove is in my garage (need a crane to get it upstairs cause the freaking stairs are too narrow).
shouldnt be, no need unless your going through the wall that close

What stove dnf? Perhaps the surface thermometer is still of use to you. I still use the surface type on the stove top. Burned for years that way. Now we also have a probe type for the double wall flue. Both are informative.

hmmm

I just assumed it would be double wall all the way down to keep the clearances to the wall down. I haven't heard back from an installer (like they are busy or something cause we have snow on the tops of the mountains) yet. Just always thought it was double all the way down. Must ponder this.

Brand new with the new price increase included Aldera T6. Still in the crate.

d.n.f. said:
hmmm

I just assumed it would be double wall all the way down to keep the clearances to the wall down. I haven't heard back from an installer (like they are busy or something cause we have snow on the tops of the mountains) yet. Just always thought it was double all the way down. Must ponder this.
they may but no need to and you would get more heat in the house with the single wall

d.n.f. said:
hmmm

Brand new with the new price increase included Aldera T6. Still in the crate.

Congratulations. If you have double wall to keep the installation clearances close, then we have the same setup.

Our installation is double wall to the stove. I installed a probe-type thermometer in our flue. It took about five minutes with a cordless drill and works great. I have a magnetic thermometer which we keep on the top of the stove as well to monitor firebox temperatures.

So how do you seal the hole from the probe?

It's a tiny hole and there is a ring magnet that surrounds it.

I have thermometers installed on my stove fronts, stove tops, and every 6.625" of stovepipes and chimneys, starting 4.25" above the collars. My wife and I take rounds of readings from every instrument every 15 minutes during burning, taking turns going up on the roofs. Each week, we compile our collected data, as well as all the attendant atmoshperic observations, into an Excel spreadsheet, print out a number of graphs, and then we forward our raw data to my cousin, who has some limited access time to a computer bank under a mountain in Colorado (can't tell you much more about that, you understand). He sends back detailed analyses of our stoves' performance and we adjust whatever parameter seems most appropriate to optimize our fuel use. Last season, I had to add Argon through a small bleeder valve to the atmosphere in my workshop, while we had to install a small-capacity Nitrogen scrubber in our home. This is a very precise science, you know, and we have to do whatever it takes. Rick

You guys are so smart.

Seriously, thanks for the info.

Scoping out a crane, or a logging truck with a boom so I can move my stove. Will post pics.

BeGreen said:
It's a tiny hole and there is a ring magnet that surrounds it.

Yep. Plus a hot chimney with a good draft won't allow smoke through the hole even if it you left a big gap around it (too much suction pulling air upwards).

If I recall, you use a larger bit to make the hole in the outside chimney wall, then a smaller bit to make the hole in the inner wall. The probe fits into the smaller hole and the larger hole on the outside is completely covered by the probe. There is no smoke leakage at all and gives good readings of the flue temp faster than what you can see with the stove top thermometer.

d.n.f. said:
Scoping out a crane, or a logging truck with a boom so I can move my stove. Will post pics.

Two old farts and two young sprouts are what moved our T6 in place. I used an industrial hand cart with a couple ratchet straps to secure it to the cart. It went easier than I expected. I spent much more time worrying about it than it actually took to move it in place.

fossil said:
I have thermometers installed on my stove fronts, stove tops, and every 6.625" of stovepipes and chimneys, starting 4.25" above the collars. My wife and I take rounds of readings from every instrument every 15 minutes during burning, taking turns going up on the roofs. Each week, we compile our collected data, as well as all the attendant atmoshperic observations, into an Excel spreadsheet, print out a number of graphs, and then we forward our raw data to my cousin, who has some limited access time to a computer bank under a mountain in Colorado (can't tell you much more about that, you understand). He sends back detailed analyses of our stoves' performance and we adjust whatever parameter seems most appropriate to optimize our fuel use. Last season, I had to add Argon through a small bleeder valve to the atmosphere in my workshop, while we had to install a small-capacity Nitrogen scrubber in our home. This is a very precise science, you know, and we have to do whatever it takes. Rick

Rick, fantastic, can I have a copy of your spreadsheets?

And why every 6.625" for stove pipe thermometers? Why not just 6"?

fossil said:

Rick get of that caffeine man. Its gonna kill ya. By the way why would you want an inert gas in your workshop anyways.
I think your stainless chimney joints are already fused. :)

Now I understand Rick's balloon chair. He uses it to take atmospheric samples every 10 ft above the flue.

BeGreen said:
Now I understand Rick's balloon chair. He uses it to take atmospheric samples every 10 ft above the flue.

Only up to 10,000 ft. Rick

BeGreen said:
d.n.f. said:

Two old farts and two young sprouts are what moved our T6 in place. I used an industrial hand cart with a couple ratchet straps to secure it to the cart. It went easier than I expected. I spent much more time worrying about it than it actually took to move it in place.

Up one flight of narrow stairs with a 180 bend. Just enough room for two. No room for a cart/dolly to negotiate the the landing.
Two guys with a 500# stove... not on my watch.

Sounds like a crane or a boom truck to me. Lumber yards have some nice boom trucks & talented operators...dunno if they ever hire 'em out for stuff like that, though. Good luck with it, and be careful. Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.