stove pipe thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kdiman

Jul 3, 2007
Nebraska
I was wondering where you can get the stove pipe thermometer that you have to drill a hole in the pipe to mount. I am not having any luck finding them.

Kelly

Good pick. I've been using Condar for over a decade. Readings still jibe between the two and even match the digital pyrometer I picked up a couple years ago.
Larry

I bought my Condar direct from them via the website that Robbie posted.. came pretty quickly too.

Jay

I am the cheapskate around here. I use the nine buck stainless steel Charm-Glo thermos from Home Depot that are made for bbq grill lids. Top quality and sealed dials. The probe isn't as long as a Condar but the temp readings are right in sync with the Condar probe that I do own.

Attachments

• thermo.jpg
    thermo.jpg
    5.2 KB · Views: 966
With the home depot thermometer, do you need to drill a hole? How do the readings ( numbers on the dial) compare to a conventional stove thermometer? I can't read the numbers on the pic.
I need to be a cheapskate also, have a baby boy.

I bought the Home Depot thermometer for my Weber Grill, it's a very big disappointment. The probe is just a little nub. Says 400 degrees most of the time, even when the grill is off. It's best to get a thermometer designed for a stove pipe. There's not to much difference in price, but a difference in performance. I can flip mine in the garbage and buy a good one. By the way the orginal one lasted 14 years, the new one 3 month's.

Smokey said:
I bought the Home Depot thermometer for my Weber Grill, it's a very big disappointment. The probe is just a little nub. Says 400 degrees most of the time, even when the grill is off. It's best to get a thermometer designed for a stove pipe. There's not to much difference in price, but a difference in performance. I can flip mine in the garbage and buy a good one. By the way the orginal one lasted 14 years, the new one 3 month's.

Sorry to hear it didn't work for you. I have three of them working and they jive with the surface mount thermos and the infrared. And go down to zero when the stove burn down.

Hmmm...

Some day I will learn to quit recommending stuff.

Home Depot used to sell Weber thermometers, so when I went there they either don't sell them anymore, or they were out. So I bought the one you did. Sometimes it works, like this last weekend. But it seems to stick at 400 and I know the red paint is changing colors so I know it's hotter than 400. Maybe I got a bad one. But I think the longer probe for double wall pipe may be better. Just my experience though.

I have the magnetic thermometer for the front of the furnace, since it's hard to get around the back to see the pipe thermometer. The magnetic one is made (I think) by or branded Rutland. There is a warning on it that at 800* or something, the magnet loses its attraction and will fall off, possibly causing a fire. I have to say that for the size of the magnet, it sucks at holding on the stove, even when the temp is 400*. It likes to slide down and get caught in the door closing.

I bought one Condar probe therm., then another for the stove upstairs. I wouldn't waste money on anything else if you can see the pipe. I've even thought of putting a webcam on mine so I can check my flue temp. from anywhere. My Earth Stove upstairs is in the fireplace, and it's a little bit of a trick to see the temp., but it reacts faster than the surface-mounts, so I can see the results of changes in the stove settings faster.

Of course you could always get one of the Harbor Freight IR thermometers with the laser when they're on sale. Then you can check the stove from the couch. From personal experience, checking the temp. of your pets is fine, but never repeatedly lase your spouse to check their temp, and NEVER NEVER do it every 15 minutes and write down the data. Unless you like sleeping on top of your woodpile.

"From personal experience, checking the temp. of your pets is fine, but never repeatedly lase your spouse to check their temp, and NEVER NEVER do it every 15 minutes and write down the data. Unless you like sleeping on top of your woodpile."

I just set a world distance record for spewing cheeseburger ingredients.

Gibbonboy said:
I have the magnetic thermometer for the front of the furnace, since it's hard to get around the back to see the pipe thermometer. The magnetic one is made (I think) by or branded Rutland. There is a warning on it that at 800* or something, the magnet loses its attraction and will fall off, possibly causing a fire. I have to say that for the size of the magnet, it sucks at holding on the stove, even when the temp is 400*. It likes to slide down and get caught in the door closing.

I can verify from experience that somewhere in the 800 degree region it will indeed drop off from a vertical pipe. Sometimes at somewhat lower temps it will slide down without falling off completely. After it cools it will hold again, but not as well. They usually come with a safety wire for backup, but it was too thin to be useful. I'm going to get a probe-type this year just so it will stay put.

I found it interesting that Pyro Extraordinaire, Brother Bart, did not respond to my info seeking question but responded very quickly when someone disagreed with his choice. Don't know what it means- just an observation. Paul

victorytea said:
I found it interesting that Pyro Extraordinaire, Brother Bart, did not respond to my info seeking question but responded very quickly when someone disagreed with his choice. Don't know what it means- just an observation. Paul

Apologies Paul. I missed the question. With the Charm-Glo that they sell at HD you do need to drill a hole. You would have to do that with any probe thermo. You then attach it from inside the pipe with a a stainless steel nut that is included with it. I use one of the holes at a pipe joint that usually would have a sheet metal screw in it. And I can't see anybody using it with double wall pipe due to the short length of the probe.

But given the bad results that Smokey had with the thermometer I am hesitant to recommend them anymore. I didn't think Smokey was disagreeing with my choice. Just reporting his results.

I respect BB opinion, I just had one bad experience, and felt I needed to express it. The first couple of times I used that therm it wouldn't go past 250 degrees or so. Now remember I am using on my Weber Grill. Now lately it has been working. So it just might be a faulty therm, which could be had with any product. My biggest concern was the small probe. My Weber original had a long probe which doubled as a meat therm. The therm I use on my double wall pipe is very long. Do to my less than desirable result using the Home Depot therm I just wanted to mention it. But like anything else your results may vary. This is the benefit of this excellent forum is to share experiences, I have learned a lot and try to give back if I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.