stove pipe thermometer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

garmford

Dec 13, 2011
Rubicon Wisconsin
I'm looking to purchase a stove pipe thermometer for my wood furnace. Curious to hear from you guys to find what you like to use. I have a single wall pipe. Would I put it above or below my barometric damper? Thanks for you feedback!!

I think mine is an Imperial and it is fairly accurate, I checked it against my IR thermometer and they weren't very far off from each other. I'm pretty sure the rule of thumb is that you place it 18" to 20" up on the pipe. The Rutland ones from Home Depot are not known for their accuracy.

Not really sure what results you will get with the baro on there. As for the brand, we've had the best luck with Condar. Had Rutlands and threw them all away. btw, the two Condar's we have were checked both in cooking oven and with IR gun and both are within 20 degrees.

I use a candy thermomiter I got at a garage sale for .50 cents. It seems pretty accurate for measuring flue gas temp.

Status
Not open for further replies.