Stove Pipe to Stove Top Temp Difference

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Huntindog1

Minister of Fire
Dec 6, 2011
South Central Indiana
I get 200-350 difference between the two on average and have gotten as high as 450 difference when stove is going full blast.

Whats everyone else getting?

Open or closed damper?
I get a pretty big difference when I have recently closed the damper, vents slightly open, and the firebox is running close to "overfire".
But never anywhere near 450.

I cant really say how open just that the stove was going really good as in the secondaries where really puttin out the heat at the 450 difference. I guess its kind of an art form of how much you let the wood get cookin verses shutting the air down so the secondaries kick in better. Most the time the difference is 200 to 350 depending on how long I left the air wide open before I closed it down plus how much I closed it down. Thats where learning your stove , looking thru the window , seeing how its burning , thats where experience pays off getting the stove working at its best. I still got a long way to go.

Not sure about the art form but the stove makes a big difference. Generally a cat stove will have lower flue temperatures but many stoves out there will have high stove vs. flue temperature.

I can easily get 400 degree delta between stove top and pipe about 18" about stove. In fact I started a few threads on it last yr cause I literally couldn't get the pipe hot even with the stove really rockin the heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.