stove pipe to thimble question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 20, 2007
North Jersey Sticks
I have a vc intrepid II connected to an outside masonry chimney that had a franklin stove with 8 inch stove pipe previously. I have a 6 to 8 inch increaser right after the 90 degree that fits into the wall thimble. On occasion, I get gooey creosote leaking out of the thimble and down the brick wall(two days ago). Not only is it a pain in the a$$ to clean, but I'm sure not too safe. I'm aware that all the pipes should fit into one another male end down to contain this to the stove, but how do I achieve this at the thimble? The other problem is, if you do achieve this, the creosote would have to flow upwards thru the increaser. I'm fairly new to all this (three years burning) so any help would be greatfully appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• chimney pics 018 150x201.jpg
    chimney pics 018 150x201.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 494
  • chimney pics 003 400x300.jpg
    chimney pics 003 400x300.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 497
I'm just a newbie but my initial thought is to burn hotter and with dry wood. I can't imagine gooey creosote under those circumstances.
I've been burning for only 1 1/2 months but through an external metal chimney (not the ideal setup) and the only creosote I've made so far is a dry dusty coating that brushes out easily.
Where's the Sticks of NJ ? I go down to Hammonton for a motorcycle race every year. Very Sticky down there.

My wood is pretty well seasoned, about 10-15 % on the meter. I am guilty though of damping down too much to extend the burn time. Both times this happened was after I restoked it in the AM, then damped down to go to work. I would let the fire rip for about 1/2 hour or so to char the wood and get the temps up, then back the air down to aprox. 1/8 open in cat mode. I guess I should let it heat up longer and give it more air. I guess what I'm asking is... is this stove pipe connection acceptable. I had it swept by two different sweeps two years ago, and I guess it was accepable to them as they made no mention. I'm in West Milford, NJ by Greenwood Lake.

That looks pretty gunky. I would think that if the cat were in good condition this couldn't happen. How old is the cat and have you cleaned it this season?

The best way to achieve your goal is with a short piece of stove pipe which is crimped (male) at both ends. These are available at some stove pipe dealers, but are also easy to make with a crimping tool. The chimney end is just long enough to go into the thimble the proper distance. The end that goes toward the stove is just long enough to mate with the next length of pipe. For some reason, this simple solution is rarely mentioned in much of the wood stove literature. It would probably also be a good idea to investigate why you're producing what would seem to be an excessive amount of creosote.

BeGreen- that thimble pic was taken after last season and honestly the picture makes it look worst than it really is. I do agree though that it shouldn't be that that bad. I bought the stove new 3 years ago and clean and inspect the converter in the middle of the season and at the end. I only burn 1 1/2 cords a year and mostly oak. Physically the converter looks ok, no cracks.

Fraxinus- Thats kind of what I was thinking. I could use a piece of regular black pipe because the straight section would fit right in . The thimble diameter is 8 1/4. What could be used as a sealant?

stop drop & roll said:
I could use a piece of regular black pipe because the straight section would fit right in . The thimble diameter is 8 1/4. What could be used as a sealant?

Some rope gasket and/or furnace cement from a caulking tube should work well.

Brian VT said:
I'm just a newbie but my initial thought is to burn hotter and with dry wood. I can't imagine gooey creosote under those circumstances.
I've been burning for only 1 1/2 months but through an external metal chimney (not the ideal setup) and the only creosote I've made so far is a dry dusty coating that brushes out easily.
Where's the Sticks of NJ ? I go down to Hammonton for a motorcycle race every year. Very Sticky down there.

OT - Brian - I race the ECEA Enduro series on a KTM300 - the Hammonton race is Green Briar right?
Good to see another dirt head here.

'Frank

We go down for the Sandy Lane every year and steal you guys' trophies. loljk
It's nice to get away from the snow and get a race in before our series starts up here. It's like a 9 hr. drive but worth it when you're Jonesin' to ride. Great event.
Looking forward to more stick farms and ignorant sections this year. :eek:hh: I guess Barry(?) doesn't own a chainsaw ? lol

Looks a lot like my sit up. I just fixed the same problem. The thimble should be slanted slightely back towards the clean out. What happens is that the gue builds up in the lower end (back) forceing it out the high end (front). To fix it stick your arm in thimble with putty knife and clean lowe end out so it can flow to the clean out. And, or put a longer section of stove pipe all the way just beyond back of thimble then gue cant git between stove pipe and thimble I to am guilty of damping down too much when going to work. difference is it took me 15 years of burning to git to this point. or it may be that my wood isn't as seasoned as I thought this year. Allthough it has been cut, split, and stacked well over a year. anyway I never had this problem before this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.