stove pipe warmer with newer stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chell

Nov 12, 2007
Minnesota
chellsroost.com
Is it normal for double wall stove pipe to be hotter with a newer stove than with a very old one? We had a Hearth Mate box shaped steel stove, and the pipe only got a little warm with that. We kept a magnetic thermometer on the top of it, because of the double wall pipe. The temp was normally kept between 450 and 550.

We just replaced the Hearth Mate with a Century FW240007 (thanks to mentions here of current sales), and boy! What a difference in heat! Same amount of wood, thermometer reads the same, twice the warmth in the house, next to no smoke outside (and mostly none in the box). I'm a happy bird. But the stove pipe gets downright hot to the touch now. There are no leaks, and the draft is good. Normal for double wall pipe?

A side note here... We had quite a scare during the first bit of burning in this one. Smoke alarm went off. Turns out it was the paint fumes (curing stove paint) that didn't make it out the window. Doh!

Due to the design of the modern stoves the incoming air is restricted so the fire can be put into a controlled burn. Now I have nothing to back me up on this but this seems logical to me. The draft should be a little slower. With the draft slower the pipe itself should get hotter. I know all the stoves we sell, if you have been burning it for a little while the double wall pipe gets too hot to touch.

Thank you for the answer, jtp. It's reassuring to hear from a pro. Yes, too hot to touch describes ours now, once it's gotten burning. I will look at this as a good additional source of heat then, something I had only expected from single wall. :)

I also have double wall and it also gets hot but I do burn 24-7 and always say it as a good thing because it the outside of the pipe is hot then the inside must be even hotter and this means higher temps the way up the chimney. I also have never had a creosote problem just grey fly ash when I clean my chimney and stove pipe :) and also when I load it up on cold mornings after it gets ripping I get steam out the top of the chimney that is invisible for about a 1-2' after it comes out of the chimney and then disappears before going 10' out of the chimney.

Status
Not open for further replies.