stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bartlett920

Feb 15, 2008
Fort Scott Kansas
Is there an easy way to get stove pipe to fit together? I cant get the pipe into the stove because it is so tight and the pipes barely fit together it takes alot of cussing to do it. How does a cast iron damper go in? It looks like it should push through with that sharp end well BS!!!!

Some times I will use a piece of scrap wood, and a hammer to get the first piece into the flue collar of the stove. After that if you have trouble with the next pieces, you can crimp the ends more so than they allready are. As far as a damper goes i dont suggest them in newer stoves. Its ends up becoming a spot for creosote to build up at.

You have to drill the holes in the pipe for a damper installation.

crimmping the pipe more would be the best bet.

Cheaper stove pipe often lacks enough crimping - i.e. the manufacturer does not replace the crimp rolls on their machines often enough. A set of hand crimpers will usually do the job. They are available at plumbing supply shops as well as online. Malco is a well known brand.

I had the same problem with my stove..I had to stand on the stove and put all my weight on it and sway back and forth on the pipe It took a while but i got it so there was only 1/4" not in...then i drilled it and screwed it...

Thanks for all the help I will try to crimp the pipe more that should do the trick it is not lacking much..

hedgeburner said:
Is there an easy way to get stove pipe to fit together? I cant get the pipe into the stove because it is so tight and the pipes barely fit together it takes alot of cussing to do it. How does a cast iron damper go in? It looks like it should push through with that sharp end well BS!!!!

I've got basically the same stove. Are you putting the crimped end into the stove collar. Mine fits nice and easy.
No damper is recommended for mine either.

I didn't have a crimper tool, so I cut a vertical slit about a half inch long every couple inches around the crimped end of the pipe. This gave me just enough flexibility to get the pieces to fit together. I made sure that I reached in through the end each time and cleaned up the excess stove cement each time and packed it in good.

-SF

Well I got all my pipe together and have to take it back apart because I noticed the slip joint pulling apart a bit. I have it screwed but I know metal expands when it gets hot and it sounds like the makings of a house fire so I am going to get some new pipe that hopefuly fits better. This is imperial that I have and the slip joint is odd shaped when together anyway. Please let me know your thoughts on Imperial 24 g SW pipe since that is what I have locally at all the hardware stores. and post any other concerns.

Greatly Appreciated :)

I think you may of misunderstood me I am talking about the vertical seam slip joint these are not telescopic lengths they are 2 footers and the seam keeps slipping out a bit. Sorry for the confusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.