Stove pipe ????

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael6268

Minister of Fire
Nov 19, 2005
Grafton NH/Upper Valley
Hello all. I am going to be installing my little wood stove in a few weeks and was just wondering how to install the conector pipe in this particular situation. I have always hooked into existing fireplaces or pipe thimbles so I never came across this. I am going directly for the stove collar to a ceiling support box. The distance from the top of the flue collar the the support box doesn't have any "give" so how do you slide the pipe up onto the adapter on the support box and then pull it down into the stove collar as it would fall apart, or at least expose the crimps? Is that where the "slip joint pipe" comes in? Is that the only/best way?

I cut the corrugated and receiving ends off the two sections of pipe I wd 40 up both surfaces of the pipes, then with plyers slightly bend in one section leading edge. I slide the two pipe together overlappin them atleast 3" essemble the rest and secure them the slide these two sections up or down to the final 1.5" into the stove collar attach the remaining screws a caulk the stove collar connection and you are done

Michael6268 said:
Hello all. I am going to be installing my little wood stove in a few weeks and was just wondering how to install the conector pipe in this particular situation. I have always hooked into existing fireplaces or pipe thimbles so I never came across this. I am going directly for the stove collar to a ceiling support box. The distance from the top of the flue collar the the support box doesn't have any "give" so how do you slide the pipe up onto the adapter on the support box and then pull it down into the stove collar as it would fall apart, or at least expose the crimps? Is that where the "slip joint pipe" comes in? Is that the only/best way?
yes, a single wall slip joint, or a double wall black telescope.

Michael6268 said:

Some insulated chimneys have pipe adapters at the bottom that also function as slip joints. This makes it easy - push the pipe upwards, slip stove in , pull pipe down into collar and then a couple screws in each joint,

FWIW, duravent is not one of these manufacutuers, the #6689 does not offer any adjustment. Metal fab is one brand i know of that has a "dripless smoke adapter" that connects to either the class a chimney or the support box.

Status
Not open for further replies.