stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ACAD

Nov 12, 2008
Northern Co
I recently purchased an older model blaze princess that I'd like to install in my home. The opening at the top is 8" and I'd like to know if I can reduce from an 8" to 6" at the top of the woodstove, and take the 6" the rest of the way out. It seems to be easier to find the 6" than the 8". (I'm installing double wall pipe due to clearance) I also would like to know anyones opinion on duravent vs superpipe.

In a word, no, not unless the manufacturer has specifically tested and approved the reduction.

Legalities aside, I would guess that the stove will burn with the smaller pipe, and probably pretty close to normally.

But, every time you open the door, the stove will let you know it is trying to exhale through an opening only 56% of what it would prefer, and will billow clouds of smoke and fly ash (worst case, maybe even flames) out the door and into the room. Starting will probably be more difficult too.

If you have some stovepipe handy, you could park the stove on your patio or driveway and test its performance, including smoke roll-out, with both sizes of pipe. (I always burn a new-to-me stove outside the first time or two, just to avoid any surprises inside the house.)

Why is 8" pipe hard to find? If not available/order-able locally, the Hearth.com advertisers have it.

Eddy

Status
Not open for further replies.