stove pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brokenwing

Feeling the Heat
Feb 11, 2012
Northern Maryland
Well today while i was caulking the wall thimble something struck my eye. The 90 degree is sitting flush on the back of the pipe, but eleveated about 1/4 to 3/16 of a inch in the front. I did not see this before. There is plent of sealent in there, as it ozzed out during the installation. Do you all think this is okay, cause i have no idea how I would get this apart. When selkirk sent me new pipe, I had to cut the old stuff apart.

paint.jpgpaint 1.jpg

I forgot to add, as you can see from the second picture there is plenty of pipe still going up inside the 90, i used a spare piece of pipe as an example! I just want to double check and see what you all would do.

Once you seal a joint with RTV it takes a lot of careful heating and even twisting with a strap wrench to undo the joint. In some cases you just can't take it apart because there is too much sealant to free up.

I'm confused about what you are describing, are you saying you didn't get the pipe assembled the same depth all the way around? Or are you saying that where it goes through the thimble the top of the pipe is at the top of the thimble hole on the outside and the bottom of the pipe is lower than the the top of the thimble on the inside. If the latter is the case the pipe is in the thimble correctly as it must always have a rise going away from the stove. There is no such thing as a true horizontal run in pellet venting.

Smokey I did not get the 90 degree elbow assembled the same depth all the way around, the pipe going up 3 feet from the cleantout tee meets a 90, and then turns horizontal out of the wall. because of the rise, the pipe sits flush on the back of the 90 but not all the way around., where it sits approximately 1/4 inch higher in the front. There is still plenty of pipe inside the 90 with selaent but I wanted some opions since were playing with fire here. Hope this helps, its hard to explain that is why i tried to do it with pictures.

You are talking about the vertical pipe section as it enters the the 90 degree turn to the thimble.

I wouldn't worry about the small difference as long as the pipe is sealed both in regards to the inner and outer pipe. We need both pipes to be continuous to maintain the ability to place the vent at the manufacturer's recommended minimum clearances as the gap between acts as insulation and heat shield.

We can see what others think, if we wait a bit

Ok smokey sounds great, we will see what other opinions the folks here have, but Im with you, that I have enough pipe in there I think I am ok. There are alot of folks here that work in the industry so i thought it would best to ask.

sounds good scott thank you. The only part that is screwed in is an adjustable section (not in the thimble), and the band that tightens the applicane adapter onto the exhaust flange. I am taking it that is what you mean. Thank you so much scott and smokey appreciate it.

Status
Not open for further replies.