Stove piping question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steven

Oct 5, 2008
ohio
Hello, my wood stove has a single wall flue collar permanently attached to the top of the stove, how do you convert to triple wall? where do you convert to triple wall? how do I stay 18inches below a ceiling if I run single wall pipe up to a 45 degree elbow. The stove is going into the basement a do not have enough ceiling clearance. Where is the transition from single wall to triple wall pipe made?

You can transition to double-wall interior pipe at that collar and then to class A to go through the wall. The double wall can be as close as 8" to a combustible ceiling and 6" from a wall. The collar will still need to be 18" from a combustible, I would think, unless you get a heat shield for it.
I'm not sure why you refer to a 45. Normally you'd use a 90 to turn torward the wall. We'll need more info.

Ok do you have to buy a through the wall kit or can you just run a 3ft section of triple wall through the cement block to the outside to the tee and then up? What I would also like to do is get away from spending the extra 300 dollars on a through the roof installation and just go outside of the roof overhang in which the roof overhang is 10 inches.

Yes sorry about that I meant 90 degree elbow my brain is fried from thinking about this for the past 3 days.
THanks

I ordered a thimble to go through the wall because the interior is framed and sheetrocked. I'll need to box out 12"x12" at the framed wall.
I have not been able to get an answer as to weather I can just punch an 8"+ hole through the cinderblock and leave it at that. I would think it's fine.

Yea there seems to be a lot of grey area in installing this in the basement my plan was to do stone work all the way up the wall directly on the cinder block which means there is no combustible surface except for the ceiling.

I wonder if there's any chance of heat buildup within the cinderblocks ? The class A pipe needs 2" clearance to a combustible but maybe that assumes the air around it isn't "contained" ?
Someone here must know. I called Simpson today but the machine said it'd be at least 8 hrs. before someone would call me back. I sent an email instead.

There's a big difference between what might work and what you should do for code/insurance reasons. Practically speaking, triple wall through cinderblock is probably fine. There would be some minimal heat buildup, but as long as there aren't combustibles handy, nothing would likely happen.

If you own the structure and don't mind losing it, skip the permit. If you want a pay out in the event of disaster, get the thimble, permit, and inspection.

Steve

The most important thing im having trouble with is I can not find a 90 degree triple wall elbow I don't even think it exist, So I can get closer to the ceiling which will allow me to be further above the ground outside when I go through the 8in cinder block without having to dig a mud pit? Surely someone has installed a wood stove in their basement and knows the right way to do this without drilling holes through there floors, maybe a chimney would be the best bet but I do not like the thought of all the work that would entail.

I have a thimble but it really does not help me because a thimble is for a 6in wall not a 8in cinderblock.

Thats an idea also but do you think it will collect a lot of water? im afraid it will turn into a mini pond wich could be dangerous itself? I do like that idea though....maybe a could run a drainage pipe to the bottom of it out away from the house??? Getting real crazy with it here LOL!

Depends on your soil. If it drains well, all you have to do is dig a pit deeper than this sort of window well needs to sit in, and fill it up with small rocks, set the window well in place & secure it, then back-fill around the outside & toss another couple inches of rocks into the well. There are covers you can get for them if leaves/whatever are a problem. You'd have to carve out a notch in the cover to clear your chimney. If your soil doesn't drain well, then you could certainly put in an underground drain pipe to daylight downslope, then toss in a few inches of rocks. In any case, it's a thought...if you're worried about bringing your chimney out close to grade it's a possible part of the solution. Rick

Are you allowed to cut a 12 inch hole in your cinder block foundation for the thimble? sounds like a bad idea also?

Status
Not open for further replies.