stove platform raised !

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dave7965

Jan 9, 2010
Rhode Island
Our stove is located at the end of our house. Previously it was an inch above floor level.We had a hearth built which is about 6-8 inches high on which we moved the stove to.
It seems as though we aren't getting the same higher heat temperatures and circulation as we once did. Could it be due to the higher placement ?

The Wood Dog said:
Our stove is located at the end of our house. Previously it was an inch above floor level.We had a hearth built which is about 6-8 inches high on which we moved the stove to.
It seems as though we aren't getting the same higher heat temperatures and circulation as we once did. Could it be due to the higher placement ?

If you have a chance please post a pic or it never happened..

Ray

The Wood Dog said:

If you have a chance please post a pic or it never happened..

Ray

We've always had our stoves at floor level in the past but when putting in the Fireview we built a 16" raised hearth. I was a bit afraid of it because heat goes up and not down. We've been pleasantly surprised in that we have plenty of heat and no problem at floor level. In fact, we are warmer now than before! So, did your raised hearth caused the difference? I doubt it unless it changed something in the flue. For example, if you have a horizontal section and this caused the horizontal to become out of whack. It needs 1/4" raise per foot of horizontal. More info would be nice.

Backwoods Savage said:
We've always had our stoves at floor level in the past but when putting in the Fireview we built a 16" raised hearth. I was a bit afraid of it because heat goes up and not down. We've been pleasantly surprised in that we have plenty of heat and no problem at floor level. In fact, we are warmer now than before! So, did your raised hearth caused the difference? I doubt it unless it changed something in the flue. For example, if you have a horizontal section and this caused the horizontal to become out of whack. It needs 1/4" raise per foot of horizontal. More info would be nice.

Hi Dennis,
Your hearth sounds interesting do you have any pics of it posted along with construction details?

Thanx,
Ray

Hey Ray, I'll check on the pictures.

Yup. I found a couple. These were taken as we were installing:

Woodstove-1.gif

Woodstove-2.gif

Backwoods Savage said:
I bet that makes it nice to tend, up where you don't have to bend over so much?

Backwoods Savage said:
Hey Ray, I'll check on the pictures.

Yup. I found a couple. These were taken as we were installing:

Woodstove-1.gif

Woodstove-2.gif

That looks real nice Dennis how did you go about building it? I want to rebuild my hearth and looking for ideas..I also like the color of the stove, is that the charcoal color?

Ray

Nice Looking stove and hearth Dennis, Wish I would have found this site before I built mine, I had only found the part that had stove reviews.

Doe's your stove have front door?

Status
Not open for further replies.