stove polish

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRA

Feeling the Heat
Nov 24, 2014
north shore ma
Anyone on this site ever use stove polish, if so which one works best and what is the best way to apply to rust spots.

Thanks

Meeco Red Devil stove polish. Wear some disposable gloves. Great for use between paintings. Works great on the hot body on wood stoves and Harman.

Reactions: bags
Hit the search box on this because I've seen it discussed many times. I haven't used any myself so I'm not much help. I have seen people talking about using it with good results. How bad is the rust? If it's bad you may need more than polish.

Hit the search box on this because I've seen it discussed many times. I haven't used any myself so I'm not much help. I have seen people talking about using it with good results. How bad is the rust? If it's bad you may need more than polish.
Not bad a few small spots

I used polish on my old VC instead of spray paint. I thought it gave it a more lustrous finish. More work but worth it IMHO. I used a bit of sandpaper on a few minor rust spots and it covered nicely.

I used polish on my old VC instead of spray paint. I thought it gave it a more lustrous finish. More work but worth it IMHO. I used a bit of sandpaper on a few minor rust spots and it covered nicely.
Thanks. Does wd40 help the inside of the stove for protection against rust for future reference?

Fogging oil. wd40, vegetable oil spray. All have been used by members here. Hestia recommends using fogging oil and I have it on hand for various winterizing of engines. I like Marvel Mystery oil as it has a pleasant odor.

Fogging oil. wd40, vegetable oil spray. All have been used by members here. Hestia recommends using fogging oil and I have it on hand for various winterizing of engines. I like Marvel Mystery oil as it has a pleasant odor.
Does marvel mystery oil come in a spray or do you apply it with a rag

Can be found at auto supply stores in everything from 2 oz drip bottles to gallon jugs. I usually get it in the small dripper bottle for feeding air tools, motors and a non airesol spray bottle for the stoves. Stuff has been used for air tools for as long as I can remember.

Reactions: JRA
Can be found at auto supply stores in everything from 2 oz drip bottles to gallon jugs. I usually get it in the small dripper bottle for feeding air tools, motors and a non airesol spray bottle for the stoves. Stuff has been used for air tools for as long as I can remember.
Thanks,

they come in a non airesol spray bottle or do you just pour some into an empty spray bottle yourself.

They have a nice spray bottle. Can't remember if its a pint or quart.

Wipe on -- Wipe off. Or just wipe on and roll around, but you do have to take the rag off.

There is a rumor that if you really rub it in and make your stove happy it will keep you warm. Dunno?

Wipe on -- Wipe off. Or just wipe on and roll around, but you do have to take the rag off.

There is a rumor that if you really rub it in and make your stove happy it will keep you warm. Dunno?
Will do thanks for the tip lol

Its a good penetrating oil so just a light mist should wet the surface and do the job of stopping the rust in its tracks.

Its a good penetrating oil so just a light mist should wet the surface and do the job of stopping the rust in its tracks.
Thanks still a newbie trying to learn the ropes thanks for you patience.

I'm still wet behind the ears if it makes you feel any better. We have all been new here except those old Yoda types that have been here forever and a few days. But take note and pay attention because they will help you out.

I'm still wet behind the ears if it makes you feel any better. We have all been new here except those old Yoda types that have been here forever and a few days. But take note and pay attention because they will help you out.
Definately taking notes! Sure I will have a ton more questions as I go. Thanks

20150819_191438.jpg Is this the fogging oil that is ok to use they didn't have the marvel mysery oil. I was going to spray this in the stove now. Do I have to wipe it or can I just coat and let sit

Thanks

Shoot and close it up. Its just like an internal combustion engine. Another one is called Sea Foam.

Shoot and close it up. Its just like an internal combustion engine. Another one is called Sea Foam.
Done that comes out fast I hope I got everything. How long to dry and how often to repeat. Thanks bioburner

The idea is to let it stay wet-damp displacing water and O2 etc. Without the oxygen rust can't live.

Thanks bioburner just making sure I wasn't over saturating it and if I did if it was ok. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.