stove problem

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fgb5

Dec 8, 2008
Vermont
Hello, I need help. I have a VT casting vigilant coal stove. I used this stove all last year without a problem and I am doing everything the same way. I have been burning wood all fall at night. Since it is now Dec. 14th and it will be getting colder I decided to burn coal. I started a wood fire in order to get the coal fire going, but the stove started smoking in the house. I started a bunch of small balls of newspapers to prime the pipe, but the stove is still not priming? I had the stove up to 500 degrees and the pipe was still only at 200. Smoke was coming out of the chimney outside and smoke stopped coming out of the stove and flue, but continued to exit inside my livingroom from where the single wall pipe meets the insulated pipe. I checked the connections again and they are fine. Am I experiencing air inversion? It is currently 35 degrees out side and it is supposed to get really cold. Any help you can give would be great.

Cheers, Ryan

I do not know your stove but I would check your cap and see if there is any creosote buildup in top part of chimney. You might have a partial blockage and just need to clean pipe.

Thanks, I looked up to pipe and could see straight up with no blockage. I might just bang my head on the wall!

Looking up pipe works if you do not have a screen on cap. If you have a screen go outside and see if it looks ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.