Stove Problems By Brand

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
That's pretty neat I like it would look into that if I had a P series

Reactions: bags
Yes Bags just stirring up the burn pot.oh wait you don't have to do that on a harman just scrape once a day.lol

I have to say, this is quite possibly one of the most civil forums I have ever seen. One of the motorcycle forums im in, saying something incorrect will get you flamed. Here, from what I have seen, if you incorrectly state some people will politely correct you. Its quite nice. Probably also a reason I haven't been to that other forum in months.

Blame the moderators its their fault we can't fight like children in here like in other forums

Reactions: bags and Big papa
Knocking on wood as a write this. 7 years problem free with the St.Croix Hastings. The Cumberland worked beautifully in its rookie season. Hope to continue with the same results.
Hey you should expect that st Croix makes some quality stuff! Great stove

I don't stir or scrape my burn pot everyday, I clean it when I clean the stove once a week even if it doesn't need it. :p
Shoot I knew this harman was over working me ordering a stove just like yours as I type this having wife help me order at the same time

The reality is that's not happening.sorry love the harman

I don't stir or scrape my burn pot everyday, I clean it when I clean the stove once a week even if it doesn't need it. :p
The manual on your stove says you should check your burn pot daily.not sure why you don't but it's recommended

heck I haven't opened the door on my stove but twice in the last 6 months;lol but ive been busy with the air conditioning instead;)

Give'em he!! Mike. I once burned 26 bags on the low crud setting without opening the door on my bucket of parts and another party on here burned over a ton through his ESW unit without opening the door on his stove. ISTR you were gritting your teeth over that one.

Smokey do you have to shut your stove down to take out the ashes?dont have to on the harman is why I ask

The manual on your stove says you should check your burn pot daily.not sure why you don't but it's recommended

I was joking guys, its been summertime down here , the stove was cleaned and readied for the summer like 6 months ago. no way im doing that during season. typically the PAH im running now gets a good cleanout every few days to a week depending on heat load (running on a stat so I get quite a variance on fuel usage depending on outside temps) currently im only burning about 2 bags a week as its not really that cold down here in Va.

Reactions: Big papa
Threads with folks asking for help!
So having nothing else to do I went the first 20 pages which takes it back to around Oct 1. I read the threads to make sure it was not a user error but in fact an actual service problem. By Stove Mfg I counted. It would be interesting to do it for an entire heating season. Not in any way scientific not is it probably accurate but as I said interesting nonetheless.

Harman- 13 issues
Enviro- 5 Issues
Breckwell- 5 Issues
Englander- 3 Issues
Drolet- ECO 65- 2 Issues
All the remaining only showed up once
Lopi
Astroflamm
Regency
Summers Heat
Magnum
St Croix
Napoleon
Astoria
Quadrafire
Winrich
Ecotek
Pelpro

Perhaps the better idea would be to ask how many people learned the hard way when to properly clean your stove and how to do it. Seems likely that it would take a season for a person to truly understand how their stove operates and when to clean it. A lot of problems can be laid on operator error during the first year.
Some manuals are very vague and after a very simple exclamation they suggest calling the dealer. I would include the Harman brand on this problem. my reasoning is simple look at the first page in the pellet stove section of this website and you will find several pages of information the Harman book doesn't tell you.
Some people just aren't mechanically minded and they will call the dealer rather then read the book and adjust something themselves. Truth be known that is why you see a lot of stoves on Craigs list.
There is something to be said for ,You get what you paid for but if a newbe does his homework and reads between the lines he should see what to avoid.

Reactions: Big papa and bags
Perhaps the better idea would be to ask how many people learned the hard way when to properly clean your stove and how to do it. Seems likely that it would take a season for a person to truly understand how their stove operates and when to clean it. A lot of problems can be laid on operator error during the first year.
Some manuals are very vague and after a very simple exclamation they suggest calling the dealer. I would include the Harman brand on this problem. my reasoning is simple look at the first page in the pellet stove section of this website and you will find several pages of information the Harman book doesn't tell you.
Some people just aren't mechanically minded and they will call the dealer rather then read the book and adjust something themselves. Truth be known that is why you see a lot of stoves on Craigs list.
There is something to be said for ,You get what you paid for but if a newbe does his homework and reads between the lines he should see what to avoid.

What????

I have to clean it and actually read and understand the manual, the sales person never said anything about that.

Now just to clean up any misconceptions as to my intentions when starting this thread!
View attachment 142638
upload_2014-10-29_6-52-7.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: bags and Big papa
Nice one....you mind if I call and we can chat about it, Anyone else wanna call Ron? LOL sorry.

So, does anyone here own a Thelin Providence insert but I ? Am I the only lucky one?

So, does anyone here own a Thelin Providence insert but I ? Am I the only lucky one?
There are a lot of thelin fs sitting in corners because people got tired of problems and poor service.I think the company went downhill after they got bought out.I remember you had problems with yours,but you got very good service.Nothing wrong with the stoves(that I see)just service.You do know they no longer make pellet stoves?But promise to provide parts for some years.Another problem was non standard parts,slightly mod a 12 vot fan unit,put a patent on it so no aftermarket part availible.Shot themselves in the foot.I would own a gnome,but gut it and put in conventional parts.

Nice one....you mind if I call and we can chat about it, Anyone else wanna call Ron? LOL sorry.
yeah...I might have blacked out a couple more things before sharing that....

Status
Not open for further replies.