stove problems

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

finnh

Dec 25, 2008
Sparks , Nevada
Hello all. Just purchased my first pellet stove ( used). Whitfield advantage ll. It worked great for an hour and then the stove shut down as if the power was cut. If I push the red start button everything comes back on. 20 minutes later its down again and so on and so on. The blower motor seems too hot. Not the housing, just the motor. The exaust motor runs cooler than the blower motor. Any ideas? Thanks much

Hey Finnh, welcome to the forum. Unfortunately, i can't help you with your stove, but i wanted to make a suggestion for the future.....put more "information" in the thread title. "stove problems" doesn't get the people who have your stove's attention.

For example, I might have put " Problem with Whitfield advantage ll shutting off", or something like that.

You might want to put your stove info into your signature line too.

Hope this helps, and again, welcome. :)

Is the convection fan one speed? Are the squirrel cage blades on the fan clean?

finnh said:
Hello all. Just purchased my first pellet stove ( used). Whitfield advantage ll. It worked great for an hour and then the stove shut down as if the power was cut. If I push the red start button everything comes back on. 20 minutes later its down again and so on and so on. The blower motor seems too hot. Not the housing, just the motor. The exaust motor runs cooler than the blower motor. Any ideas? Thanks much

FWIW, the blower motor will run hot. I can hardly hold my hand on mine but that`s normal for a motor of this type.

Thanks for the info everyone. I guess the convection motor does run a bit hot but it works well and i can cool it down by cranking up the rpms a bit. Also, I have learned that the unit shutting down every 20 minutes or so is probably due to a faulty limit switch, which i have since ordered ( low limit disc part # 12057601) In the meantime, I bypassed the switch and connected the two leads. everything has been working perfectly for 48 hours. Thanks again for all advice

More food for thought - if the low limit sensor had/has alot of ash buildup on it, or in the exhaust housing area, this will and can act as a insulator and thereby prevents the actual stove temp giving a accurate temp to the sensor, because if the unit is not up to or above 140* within the start up, it will shut off. Usually if this sensor fails, 1) the stove shuts off 30 minutes after start-up or, 2)Unit will not shut off after cool down and has to be unplugged. Just a suggestion for future troubles. Most stoves purchased used certainly need a thorough cleaning prior to installation and use to prevent problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.