stove recommendations

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fran35

Jan 10, 2011
PA
I need some advice and recommendations from folks who are smarter than I. I have just built a sunroom, 13 x 25. I am finishing the interior and I want the wood stove to be a major feature. The room is going to be framed in (not structurally-just cosmetically) in hand hewn post and beams. The rafters will be exposed oak and chestnut rafters from an early 1800s barn. I have about 50 hand hewn beams that appear to be at least 150 years old and are amazing. Anyway, once I get the beams pressure washed and bathed in linseed oil, I will got to work placing them in the room. I hope to use as much of the original mortise and tenon to tie them together, but am realistic that much of it will not fit exactly.

Anyway, as I stated, I have reserved a framed corner of the room for a hearth and wood stove. I have found a guy selling 30 feet of triple wall duravent (8 inch) and an older Fisher wood stove(Grandma Bear I think) for $300. I initially thought that I would use the Fisher, because I like the vintage look, the ability to use it as a fireplace, and since I already have an Englander 30 in the basement that is a beast, I am not really worried about relying on the Fisher smoke dragon religiously. While the Englander is super functional, I wanted something more unique or classic looking for the sunroom. Also, after looking at the UL listing for the Fisher (it is approx 1981 so it is UL listed), I see that the stove has RIDICULOUS clearances. Something like 36-42 inches from combustibles. The wall is framed in, but I have not insulated yet. Can I do enough mitigation to even achieve a reasonable clearance? I prefer my woodstove not to stick 5 feet out in the room.

Anyway, I plan on continuing my plans to buy the stove and piping with the thought that I could flip the stove if I wanted and get $600 worth of triple wall for free. However, if others think I can make it work, I am game to keep the Fisher. Please give me any and all advice that may be useful as I fisnish my room and stove shop.

I'm not a big construction guy but wouldn't putting up fire board on the adjacent wall redure your required clearances considerably?

With a ventilated wall shield you can drop those clearances down to 12". Here is an article about clearances and wall shields: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

An used Jotul will probably look good in that space, too. However, pretty much all newer stoves will want 6" pipe; especially the smaller ones that would be appropriate for that space. The Grandma sounds like overkill.

With a ventilated wall shield you can drop those clearances down to 12". Here is an article about clearances and wall shields: https://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/articles/stove_wall_clear

An used Jotul will probably look good in that space, too. However, pretty much all newer stoves will want 6" pipe; especially the smaller ones that would be appropriate for that space. The Grandma sounds like overkill.

Thanks for the reply. If I utlize the 8 inch pipe from the roofline up, can I reduce it at the ceiling from 8 to 6? I know that to take an 8inch stove outlet to 6 chimney is a no-no, but I thought going the other way was not an issue.

You could try it. It might be okay. How tall will it be?

You don't need a stove that requires 8" pipe. I'd consider installing the proper size to begin with. If I already had 8" pipe in place, it would be worth a shot.

That triple wall is 12" OD, so you'll need a 14" hole at minimum to install it. That's a big hole. Does it come with everything needed for install? Flashing, ceiling support, insulation shield, stove pipe adapter, etc.

Thanks for the reply. If I utlize the 8 inch pipe from the roofline up, can I reduce it at the ceiling from 8 to 6? I know that to take an 8inch stove outlet to 6 chimney is a no-no, but I thought going the other way was not an issue.
Depends on the height. How tall will the chimney be? If the total flue system is short (under 16') + 8" pipe, a modern stove may not develop enough draft. It will work for the Fisher.

Status
Not open for further replies.