Stove runs better with ash pan open

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rcracing17

Nov 18, 2013
hey everyone. My enviro ef3 insert seems to have a much better flame when the ash pan door is cracked open. With it shut I have a small flame not really coming out of the burn pot. With it open, it's a nicer, brighter flame maybe 3-4 inches above the burn pot.

What would be the issue I feel like it should burn like it does but with the ash pan door closed.

All motors were cleaned and stove was thoroughly disassembled and cleaned before starting it up yesterday

Not familiar with your stove, but it sounds to me like its not getting enough air and opening the door is allowing more air into the firepot. Is the stove new (or new to you)? Is there an OAK installed? Again, not being familiar with your stove, I'm assuming the air for the fire comes through ports in the firepot, are these ports clear of ash and debris?

Yes I have a oak installed. I ran it from the chimney clean out door to the stove. Adjusting the damper doesn't seem to make a difference to the flame

hey everyone. My enviro ef3 insert seems to have a much better flame when the ash pan door is cracked open. With it shut I have a small flame not really coming out of the burn pot. With it open, it's a nicer, brighter flame maybe 3-4 inches above the burn pot.

What would be the issue I feel like it should burn like it does but with the ash pan door closed.

All motors were cleaned and stove was thoroughly disassembled and cleaned before starting it up yesterday

Check your damper setting (it may have been inadvertently moved during cleaning speaking of which did you clean the crud out of the chimney?) and air intake for possible blockage however, you really need to set the draft with a Dwyer Gauge by the manual and not look at the flame height as the end all.

Chimney was cleaned. I tried playing with the damper. All the way in. Half way. All the way out. Makes no visible change. I'll take the brick panel off this afternoon. Mabye something shifted while I was moving the stove back inside to its place

Chimney was cleaned. I tried playing with the damper. All the way in. Half way. All the way out. Makes no visible change. I'll take the brick panel off this afternoon. Mabye something shifted while I was moving the stove back inside to its place

I would look for the damper maybe not moving when you think it is, they have been known to come loose and also to not always close down enough. But there is more than just flame height to look at.

Status
Not open for further replies.