Stove runs perfect on low

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris1

Nov 1, 2014
Ontario
I have a Drolet eco-65. On the lowest setting I have a nice steady flame and practically no soot build up on the glass. If I bump it up one level I have a flame that will shoot up to over 12" and then burn back to about 2" and sparks shooting everywhere - it looks like the 4th of July. On the second setting soot starts to build up on the glass almost instantly. Damper is wide open on both settings. Isn't this the opposite of the way it's supposed to run?

First - will get other Eco 65 owners attention if you add Eco 65 to the thread title (edit option)

There is a troubleshooting section on page 43 of the manual listing reasons for soot development ... Usually means there is an air issue but could be the pellets you are using. A little more info would help identify source of your problem... How old is the stove? Does it have an OAK? What is your venting set-up? When was the last internal cleaning done?

Welcome to the forum!

My stove has run 80% of it's life on low #1 out of 5

I have less than 1 week on my ECO-65, my first pellet stove, so I'm about as far from qualified to comment as you can get. That said, during start-ups I noticed that the fire burned quite high at times, enough so that the flame licked the glass. It appeared that more pellets than necessary kept feeding onto the burn tray. It was a bit alarming. Eventually things slowed down, the pile of pellets burned down, and things returned to a nice steady-state condition. But now the glass was dirty.

I've since read on this forum that the program board goes through what looks to me like a failry complex routine during startup. The point being, if the glass of a brand new stove got sooty while under program control, maybe there's nothing wrong with your unit. Could it be that additional combustion air is pumped during transitions to help the stove react faster?

I have a Drolet eco-65. On the lowest setting I have a nice steady flame and practically no soot build up on the glass. If I bump it up one level I have a flame that will shoot up to over 12" and then burn back to about 2" and sparks shooting everywhere - it looks like the 4th of July. On the second setting soot starts to build up on the glass almost instantly. Damper is wide open on both settings. Isn't this the opposite of the way it's supposed to run?

You might just be watching it in between start and RUN cycle. If the pellets burn down before more can enter you will see the sparks starting.I think its part of the normal cycle I would not be worried. Usually on the start cycle the combustion blower runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.