Stove Scents question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike821

Nov 3, 2010
Bridgewater NJ
OK.....my wife burns a boat load of candels all the time. She says it makes the house smell good. I mentioned that they make stove scents for our steamer or a stone that you put on top of the stove. I have no prior knowlege as to if they are worth it, or if they would have any adverse effects on the steamer or stove top. Does anyone have any insight or suggestions.

We use stove scents in our steamer and they seem to work pretty good. When you walk in the house after being outside you can definitely smell them.

My wife throws some cinnamon sticks and other stuff in our steamer and it smells great. You'd think there was a pie in the oven .

Worry not Mike. It works well.

I'm cheap . . . I just go to Walmart and pick up the liquid potpourri and put it in the steamer . . . and since I'm really cheap I make it last longer by diluting that with water. I'm kind of partial to the scents that smell like apple pie, vanilla sugar cookies and evergreen boughs.

I've done the fir boughs,it turns the water blood red.Love the fir.

when i burned wood (pellet now ) i kept a teapot on the stovetop , when i wanted to add some ambiance i used to add a few drops of vanilla extract or other extracts to he water , cinnimon sticks do well also, i suppose scented oils added to the water would be ok as well, a suggestion though , look for a trivet (trivit?)to set your pot on so it doesnt marr the surface of the stovetop

+1 what Mike said. I left the steamer right on the right hand top of the insert, and now have a ring. I'll be fixing and spraying some surace rust on the foor, so I'll deal with that then.

Besides, I like trivets ;-)

Trivet was bought before the stove.lol

We put a couple clove spikes in with the cinnamon sticks, smells real nice when you walk in.

jeromehdmc said:
We put a couple clove spikes in with the cinnamon sticks, smells real nice when you walk in.

+1 on the cinnamon sticks and cloves, I even sprinkle a little nutmeg in as well...

I tried orange peels....could not smell them..

I'm cheaper - Dollar Tree you can buy a case (12) bottles of the liquid potpourri for $12. Use that in the steamer. Also will up scented candles are the trivet in evenings. Don't leave on too long or for some reason the wax overflows and makes a friggin mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.