1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Stove Selection - Spectrum Classic, Jotul Rangeley or Jotul Carrabassett?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Ohio, Jun 12, 2013.

1. Ohio

Ohio New Member

Loc:
    ohio
    All,

Thanks for your previous suggestions. We are down to the Pacific Energy Spectrum Classic, Jotul Rangeley and Jotul Carrabassett. Anyone on here have one of these stoves? I'd appreciate any comments on these stoves.

Thanks ahead of time.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    All good stoves from good companies, although I've not personally owned any of them. What are your constraints? How important is top load to you? Welcome to the forum!
  3. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    To me, the top load on the Rangeley is pretty helpless looking, not to mention cumbersome. The top door only gives you access to a small portion of the firebox, I can see either only loading partially, or opening the front door to rearrange and add more wood.I would go with the F-55 over the F-50. A bigger firebox is more important to me than an awkward top door.
  4. Ohio

Ohio New Member

Loc:
    ohio
    No restrictions. Wife likes the top load feature but I'm not wed to it. Just interested in others experiences with these stoves.

Minister of Fire, looks like we are in the same neck of the woods - we are on the border of Southeastern Indiana & the wife hails from the Bloomington area.
  5. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Me too!
  6. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    I haven't owned one, but we sell them. If you compare them to other top load stoves, it leaves a little to be desired. That being said, the other top loading stoves are full of fragile pieces, either ceramic firebacks and or, fragile combustion systems buried in the back of the stove. At this point. it's the only top loading stove I would own, but I think the F-55 is a better option.
    jotulguy likes this.
  7. Joful

Joful Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Philadelphia
    Hey... the Firelight 12 is a phenomenal top-loading stove. :p
    webby3650 likes this.
  8. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    If comparing PE to the Jotul F50 or F55, the Alderlea line is a better comparison than the Spectrum. You might also want to check out the Enviro Boston.
    Joful likes this.
  9. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    Absolutely! I was only considering new stoves though.
  10. Knots

Knots Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Alfred, Maine
    I bought, but haven't used yet, a Jotul F55. I like the simplicity of it. Less gaskets and hinges and whatnot.

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the stoves you listed. I spent a lot of time looking at the Summit, T6, and F55. I liked the door handle adjustment on the F55 and that is was made in Maine. That's about it. I also didn't feel a need for top loading.