stove shield / Firelight 12 blower assembly

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashful

Minister of Fire
Mar 7, 2012
Philadelphia
So, I have two Jotul Firelight 12's, each installed in a large stone fireplace, both on an exterior walls. One stove is placed 12" from the rear wall of the fireplace, whereas the other is only 3" from the stone wall. Exterior IR photos show that a good bit of heat is radiating into these walls, and heating my back yard, and we've been disappointed with how well these stoves are heating our house. We can maintain 70 degrees in the end of the house that is framed construction, but can rarely get above 68 degrees in the end of the house that is all stone. We do have distribution problems to fix, and the house is not exactly super air-tight, but I know that I'm losing a TON of heat into the stonework.

IR_0494.jpg IR_0492.jpg

I would like to place something behind each stove, which will both reflect and insulate, assuming this will not cause damage to the stove. I would be interested to know if Jotul makes a blower assembly for the Firelight (600, may fit the 12?), which has an integral rear shield. Barring that, perhaps a metal on microre laminate, or something similar? Must be made to look good, or invisible, and must fit into a pretty narrow space (again... only 3" gap behind one stove).

Ideas?

P1130008.JPG PC240027.JPG

According to the install manual for the Jotul 12, the only optional equipment for that unit is a set of warming shelves. I don't think the rear heatshield from the CB F600 will readily bolt up to your unit(s), as the pre-drilled & tapped holes aren't there. Without the heat shield, the blower has no attachment points. You may be able to fit something behind the unit with the most clearance, kinda like a fireback, but I've never seen a cast iron one as big as you'll need. You might hafta get a piece of steel plate, & horse it in behind the unit. As far as having something behind the stove(s) that actually looks good, disguising the construction with black stove paint is probably your only option.

Yeah, I was thinking a cast iron fireback, they make reproduction ones that look quite good. I imagine you'd have to move the stove to get it back there, tho.

Hmm... I do have a big cast iron fireback. Not quite big enough to cover the entire area behind this stove, but if I prop it up on a couple of bricks (no need to shield behind the stove legs), it would cover most of the area directly behind the stove. With the width and height of the fireplace, I think I could sneak it around the stove pipe, and then lower it in place behind the stove. I do hate to hide this antique behind a stove, though.

I'm thinking sheet steel (painted flat black) over some type of insulation board, but really have no idea what type of board to use, or where to buy it.

I'm thinkin you could get by WITHOUT any insulating material. A 1" air space is enough to allow close clearance to COMBUSTIBLES, so it may do what you want...

Perhaps, but with a very rough stone wall behind it, I figured just leaning an insulated panel back against the rear wall of the fireplace might be easier than trying to fasten up steel on spacers.

I just remembered I have two 48" x 24" sheets of heavy gauge steel sheet, that I had bought for making heat shields (still haven't gotten to that). Maybe I'll try sliding one of them back there tonight!

If you bend the outer edges forward, say at a 30 or 45 degree angle, it'll stand on its own & won't need fastening, as long as the floor of the firebox is relatively level. 4-5 inches on each end should be enough...

Reactions: Ashful
Status
Not open for further replies.