stove shut down for summer

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

snikr

Sep 14, 2008
Wallingford, VT
I'm getting ready to put my Mom's Harmon P68 up for the summer. Should I make sure she burns out all the pellets? Just asking cause my Dad used to take care of this but he passed away this winter so I'm in charge now and learning as I go. TIA

Tom

My condolences for your loss. If it's not cold enough to warrant
burning, you can just scoop out the pellets and bag them back up
then vac out the remaining dust and whatever is down in near
the auger.

Tom,

very sorry to hear about your loss.

As for the remaining pellets, it would be nice to let them burn & empty the auger completely. If you can let it empty, it just makes cleaning completely a little easier.....but it's not a deal breaker by any means. As Zeta said, if you have to, just empty as many out as you can, then vacuum.

If you need any other help with cleaning the rest of the stove, there are plenty of P68 owners on here that I'm sure will give info and advice as to the best methods of cleaning it. Make sure the title of your post is something like "P68 end of season cleaning help", or something like that.

Thanks so much for the kind words and advice. I'm going to try to run the P68 out of pellets when I shut it down for the season. Still need it hear in VT. Cool and damp right now.

Tom

I'll put forward kind of a compromise on the advice above. When you're ready to shut the stove down for the season and the hopper has a lot of pellets in it, scoop out most of them as described above leaving a couple of handfuls in the bottom. Then turn it up and burn the remainder of the pellets, letting the stove burn itself out.
Just a thought.
B)

I've had two pellet stoves going on 15 years now and never emptied the hopper for the summer. I've not had any issues either.

Status
Not open for further replies.