Stove shuts down while fire is still burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pangia

Nov 15, 2014
New Jersey
Stove is a Castle HPS09.
A few minutes after startup, it shuts down.
Flame is still high when it does that.
Blowers and auger are working, and there are no clogs in any of the vents, but when the stove shuts off it kills power to the blowers too, and smoke isn't exhausted.
Any clues? Thanks.

Sounds like the proof of fire switch. The stove thinks there is no fire and shuts down.

No trouble codes or beeps? Have you cleaned ash trap? See cover plate clean-out (item 11 on stove exploded view of stove on page 22 of manual)
http://www.rngstores.com/files/pdf/hps09.pdf

I use a lint brush and hose attached to my shop vac so I can get into the upper reaches of the machine... depends on the configuration of the internal smoke pathways.

PS - Welcome to the forum ... best to put stove type in thread title to catch the eye of other owners with the same stove;lol

Sounds like the proof of fire switch. The stove thinks there is no fire and shuts down.

Thanks for the info Tim - I bypassed the POF switch and the stove kept running as it should.
The switch I have to replace has this number sequence on it -

T-O-D60T12
F110-20F

I've found several switch online that match except for the 0921 number.
Would you know if that makes any great difference?

Thanks

No trouble codes or beeps? Have you cleaned ash trap? See cover plate clean-out (item 11 on stove exploded view of stove on page 22 of manual)
http://www.rngstores.com/files/pdf/hps09.pdf

I use a lint brush and hose attached to my shop vac so I can get into the upper reaches of the machine... depends on the configuration of the internal smoke pathways.

PS - Welcome to the forum ... best to put stove type in thread title to catch the eye of other owners with the same stove;lol

Thanks for the info - It seems my problem is a bad POF switch, but I didn't know that extra access panel you mentioned was hidden behind the rear grill, and it did need to be cleaned out.

Reactions: Lake Girl
Status
Not open for further replies.