Stove Size?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Woodro

Nov 17, 2014
Nebraska
I am building a 3000 sq ft shop with a 16' high ceiling. I want to burn corn mainly or a corn pellet mix. Does anyone know what the largest stove made is or any opinions?

You may have to go with a pellet furnace for example a PF 120 is rated at 6500. Square feet made by harman.the uninstalled price is high $6000 but just using it for example.the P68 pellet stove is rated to heat 3900 square feet but with those high ceilings not sure just one pellet stove would do it its cost is $4000 uninstalled.i would have an HVAC professional size up your garage to see how many btu you need before you buy anything. Then things like how tight is the space,insulation and how warm are you going to heat it need to be taken into account.

What kind of shop? There are considerations for installation where fumes may be an issue...

Really depends on it's use and insulation. In my shop I had at work 2300 sq ft for the main portion ( I had 4 stalls there, the main portion being two of them) ceiling fans made a huge difference as the heater was suspended, seeing it was a truck shop ( vehicle shops in this state have to have suspended heaters X amount of ft off the floor). You should be looking at someplace from 70,000 btu to 100,000, again depending on use and building tightness, insulation etc..

I had a paint shop in my garage at home here before we turned that into a rental apartment and I had a 100,000 btu oil fired heater in there because it was not so well insulated and exhaust fans for the paint area really sucked the heat right on out. It caught up fine and just cycled off soon as you turned the fan off , ran constantly with it on, barely a cycle off now and then. It was just enough heat for the space which was no where near the size of your space and half of what I had at work.. If your work keeps the heat fairly contained I could see a 70,000 BTU unit handling it with a couple of ceiling fans in place. . If you need to vent it for fumes then you need much more.

A lot of vehicle shops around here have waste oil heaters in them ( automotive waste oils).

The shop is 2x6 walls so I will have plenty of insulation. I will be running my electrical business out of it and working on farm equipment. I plan on supplimenting with wood while I'm working in there, mainly want the corn stove to keep it about 50 when I'm not. Thank you for your replies.

Status
Not open for further replies.