stove/stack/flue thermometer readings

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

szumbrun

Oct 25, 2010
Middletown, MD
There was a post earlier that I can't find, where someone had 3 thermometers with numbers for each over time.
Can't remember those values, but my question related to that is, don't these values all vary in direct proportion
to each other? If for example, the stove top reads 500degF, Flue 800degF and stove pip 250degC, is there ever
a situation when the stove top is at 500degF that the Flue and stove pipe are different from 800 and 250?

Is having more than one thermom useful in terms of adjusting damper or is it more of a curiosity?

With a thermometer on the stove pipe and another on the stove, we find the stove pipe is usually between 300-350 while the stove top will be anywhere from, say, 300-700. But please realize we have a cat stove and our stove pipe is horizontal so that can give us different readings than others have.

There is not a constant relation between stove top and flue temp.
I have a digital thermometer on the stove top and thermometer probe inside the flue.

At a cold start up the stove top may be around 100 °F while the flue may be 600°F - 800°F .

When the stove is up to temp and the air closed down the stove top may be 600 °F while the flue may be about 550 °F .

So in the end it depends where you are in the burning cycle.

With my new stove I have a stovetop thermometer Jotul suggests. But why all the others which one you go by, maybe the next generation of woodstoves will have built in computers, my wife is driving our new stove hope she don't run off the tracks. See Secondary Burn Hearth section (beware woman driving)

Thanks for all good info on this site.

I cant figure out why some are reporting flue temps as high as 1000 !!!!

Right now I have 2 year old oak it IS nice and dry ........... a big fire , the stove top is at 450ish and the single wall flue temp at about 18inches above the stove is at 350 !
I have got the flue temp up that high burning straight up pine scraps ( will never do that again ) scared the crap out of me !!!!

Quad 3100 flat top

What am i doing wrong ? I'm not sure i want the flue that hot ? seems like a waste ???

The stove heats the house just fine the way I've been running it for two years .

I've been here for that long reading just about daily to educate .....

The primary is closed and right now I have the secondary full open ( heating the room , cool in here ) Once its running and the room is hot I'll close the secondary and he flue temps drops to just about 250/300 . ?????

I'm not sure what i"m doing wrong ,,, if anything

We don't often see people posting 1000F flue temps and usually warn them they are pushing the limits of the pipe and stove. Some downdraft models are getting these temps, but it is not common. You are doing fine, don't obsess over the chatter on this matter.

Status
Not open for further replies.