Stove Stat Fan Control Review

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jags

Moderate Moderator
Staff member
Aug 2, 2006
Northern IL
***Disclaimer - I have no affiliation to Stove Stat at all. ***

Just a quick review of a small item that has improved my wood burning experience.

I have the optional fan for my Isle Royal. When the temps outside start to go south, and I find myself needing to awaken the true heating potential of this cast iron, 3 cubic ft capacity, btu belching beast, I will also fire up the fan so that I can thoroughly melt the whiskers off of my dog when she sleeps in front of it (not really folks, just painting a picture). Anyhow, when truly using my stove at or near capacity, I like to use the fan on the stove as well. Down side is that after about 6 or 7 hrs, while sleeping or at work, the stove temp will drop as they all do, and the fan in not needed or wanted. This is where the Stove Stat comes into play. It was on this great website that I learned of such a thing. I purchased one. The installation procedure is as follows:

Started a fire in the cooled down stove. Took my handy, dandy IR hand held thermo and placed it in my quick draw holster at my side. Watched intently at the stove top temp starting to rise. When the stove top temp reached MY ideal temp where I would typically kick the fan in I yelled "DRAW". Whipping out the thermo in a quick draw maneuver that would make "speedy the wonder slug" flinch, I zapped the stove in several places to take sample readings of different areas on the stove. The sides, the back, and the tin work were all tested to find the "ideal" spot to place the Stove Stat. Ya see, the Stove Stat turns on at 110 deg and off at 90, so finding the proper corresponding temps in other areas the will give a 110 deg surface while the stove top is at 450 is the key. Found the spot on some tin work, stuck the stat on and plugged my new gadget in. The results were wonderful. At fire startup, the fan automagicly turns on at a stove top temp of 450, as the stove cools, the fan will shut off at about 300 deg. This gadget works as advertised, and being mounted away from the majority of the really hot parts of the stove gives me a good feeling as well.

For anybody that may have similair needs, I would endorse this product as a possible solution.

Happy and safe burning to all.

Yep. They are great. On my second one now. The old burning beast fried the last one after 18 years. This one is in a little cooler location on the new stove.

i have one mounted on my 24-ac works like a charm, took just a few minutes to locate good spot on the manifold that my blower mounts to kinda like an early warning system for the fire as well, blower would kick off about the time im down to coals mostly and its time to reload, so when i hear the blower drop, time to stoke er up

I also use the stove stat, got it on the outer wall of my insert, where the air circulates the firebox
works great and no longer have to manually shut her off, or wake up to cold air blowing.

Status
Not open for further replies.