Stove temp for cleaning a Harman

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

canuck_22

Feeling the Heat
Feb 4, 2014
Ontario, Canada
What would constitute a good setting to burn off inside the stove using stove temp and for how long?

Thanks

I would think the ESP will limit the stoves temperature before having a real cleaning burn could occur. It's not like a wood stove that you can crank and burn off creosote.

I would think the best cleaning temperature would be the off position.

To make myself clearer I'm trying to eliminate the sticky stuff inside the stove.

To make myself clearer I'm trying to eliminate the sticky stuff inside the stove.
What sticky stuff, is this a new stove or is this old "creosote". ?The hottest exhaust temp a Harman can get up to is 500 deg if I remember correctly. Stove temp mode allows or tries for 350 deg as I recall. The hottest internal temp I believe will be turned all the way up though and probably in room temp with a high feed rate. Open the windows you will cook yourself out this time of year. I think my numbers are right but anyone is free to correct them !

What $@?& were you trying to burn that you got that kind of buildup. I burn part corn and rarely burn past 50 percent fire and in two years have not needed to use anything but a stiff brush.

Reactions: alternativeheat
What $@?& were you trying to burn that you got that kind of buildup. I burn part corn and rarely burn past 50 percent fire and in two years have not needed to use anything but a stiff brush.

Pellets only, used the stove near the end of the season when I got it in March, and used it this past week when the temp dipped. It's not a huge accumulation, it's more like oily/greasy on the inside surfaces of the stove.

Ok, short fires not really getting the stove to a good working temp. Idling fires can make a mess too. Get the stove to a good fire for half a day or so and I would bet that the mess will dry up.

Ok, short fires not really getting the stove to a good working temp. Idling fires can make a mess too. Get the stove to a good fire for half a day or so and I would bet that the mess will dry up.
When you say "Idling fires" you mean maintenance mode? --->toggle switch set to manual?

Yes, forcing the stove to stay lit to save on igniter in the shouldering season.

Yes, forcing the stove to stay lit to save on igniter in the shouldering season.
That's exactly what I did this week, to see how it actually worked in manual mode. I did install a 3301P, but I think I'll use it in Auto mode.

That's exactly what I did this week, to see how it actually worked in manual mode. I did install a 3301P, but I think I'll use it in Auto mode.
In the shoulder season I run the stove pretty much in auto. Depends on the day if that is room temp or stove temp mode. But I've never seen anything like you describe inside my stove. In auto the stove will ramp up pretty good at times, you will see high flames inside but you won't always feel tons of heat cause it ramps back down quickly too in the shoulder season. This morning I had the stove going for a time in manual though, much as you did pretty much checking various functions after summer shutdown. I let it run an hour or so like that at 3 1/2 then put it back in auto at 4. Room temp was short cycling for sure as I had the probe set at 72 and it wasn't far from the stove so radiant heat was whacking it. I ran the stove about 4 1/2 hours this morning all in all.. Felt good, smelled good !

I have the same stove as you...
I had the same sticky, creosote in side the stove.. most was behind the Ash Pan area....
May have been when I was messing with the controls and doing a low burn for long periods of time to save pellets..[was still in the expiriment stages].
anyways, I was told to put it on Stove temp[auto] to keep stove from shutting down, set it to #4 or 5 and let it rip for about 3 hrs...
Got rid of all the sticky on the walls which was now ash that I could vacuum......

I have the same stove as you...
I had the same sticky, creosote in side the stove.. most was behind the Ash Pan area....
May have been when I was messing with the controls and doing a low burn for long periods of time to save pellets..[was still in the expiriment stages].
anyways, I was told to put it on Stove temp[auto] to keep stove from shutting down, set it to #4 or 5 and let it rip for about 3 hrs...
Got rid of all the sticky on the walls which was now ash that I could vacuum......
Makes sense, when I run my P61 in manual it's rarely below 4 and last year was mostly in the mid winter cold at 5. Just saying that's probably why I haven't seen this. However I had a little sticky in my clean out T cap after last seasons shoulder event that didn't want to end ! I washed it out with soap and hot water. Ya you want to burn these stoves fairly hot. Last shoulder season ( spring) i ran mine in Room temp auto and just let it do it's thing. It started, It shut down, restarted, ramped up, down etc etc all by itself.

Let me guess, you were burning either NEWP or Green Supreme and then had your insides gucked up......

Let me guess, you were burning either NEWP or Green Supreme and then had your insides gucked up......

No we dont have those here, as far as I know, but I did burn 3 brands >Started with Cubex, then tried Granulco and Canawick, I think it coincides with the Granulco brand which I think is a softwood or mix. Anyhow I'll be burning only Cubex, 3 tons have been ordered and should be here mid Oct. I have included some pics after yesterday cleaning, note the black.

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    38 KB · Views: 139
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    45.8 KB · Views: 132
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 105
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG