Stove temperature

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

csthilaire

Feb 27, 2009
Upstate NY
Could someone please tell me if the outside temperature of a pellet stove of 600 degrees is too high? The outside of the stove is extremely hot and so is the board underneath it to the touch. Thanks.

Which brand and model stove do have? If you let us know, maybe someone with the same model stove can give experience with the temperatures. Personally, it sounds too hot to me for a pellet stove.

It's an Englander 25-PDVC 55-SHP10. It smells very hot also. It's only a couple of weeks old too. We had the settings on 1 and 1 all last night and man it threw extremely hot heat plus the stove & board was very hot to the touch. Thanks.

seems hot. I wish my stove got half that hot on high (kozi). What pellets are you using?

I see you are from upstate NY, where do you live?

Use Barefoot pellets (love them!) and they do burn very hot but last night we used the Somerset brand since it wasn't extremely cold out. I live in Eaton near Morrisville NY. I think I may need to call New England to ask them what might be up with it because it is concerning us.

call them or your dealer. They may be able to help faster than here for now.

Is your blower fan running? (distribution fan)
I ask only because my friends brand new Englander had run 2 weeks before I had the opportunity to see that the fan was not running. His stove was very hot and giving off heat like a wood stove.
We got the fan running again and all is well .

I believe it is. At least you can hear the blower and feel the heat blow out into the room. But you're right the temp is more like a woodstove heat. Not sure if these things are sensor controlled and something is wrong with that? This is all new to me. Thanks!

con said:
Could someone please tell me if the outside temperature of a pellet stove of 600 degrees is too high? The outside of the stove is extremely hot and so is the board underneath it to the touch. Thanks.

You actually measure 600° or is that a guess?

600° is really hot and you stoves over temp switch should have kicked the unit off.

jay

con said:
I believe it is. At least you can hear the blower and feel the heat blow out into the room. But you're right the temp is more like a woodstove heat. Not sure if these things are sensor controlled and something is wrong with that? This is all new to me. Thanks!

OK , but his stove was so hot that we could feel the heat a foot or more away from the stove and honestly, we initially thought the fan was running , although slow. Upon further inspection it wasn`t. When we did get the fan running we could easily feel the heat blow from 3-4 ft + away so it will be quite obvious.
If your stove is getting as hot as you say you should definitely feel a lot of heat blowing out .

Yes, have a metal temperature gauge stuck on the outside of it and it was up to 600 when I shut it down this morning. The house thermostat was off the charts by that time. I'm surprised it didn't shut down too. I will have to call Englander when I get home later I guess and see what they say.

Turn the blower up to 9. It should be noisy and throwing a lot of air out. It should also cool the stove down. It is possible that the stove is feeding pellets a lot faster than it should be for 1.

OK thanks I'll give that a try. If it is feeding the pellets too fast can that be adjusted somehow do you know? Because it was set on 1 and can't go any lower.

con said:
OK thanks I'll give that a try. If it is feeding the pellets too fast can that be adjusted somehow do you know? Because it was set on 1 and can't go any lower.

The three buttons on the bottom control feed and low air on #1 and#2 settings. My experience is that Somerset do burn hot but I suspect something else is wrong. Suggest you contact Englander.

con said:
It's an Englander 25-PDVC 55-SHP10. It smells very hot also. It's only a couple of weeks old too. We had the settings on 1 and 1 all last night and man it threw extremely hot heat plus the stove & board was very hot to the touch. Thanks.
I run my 25-PDVC at 1 1, and the temperature has never exceeded 280°, measured with a hand-held digital laser reader pointed at the left side of the outlet grille. It will put over 300° at settings around 5 5. This is with Lignetics pellets. Try another reliable thermometer to check the one you say reads 600°.

Something seems very wrong with your stove. I run an enviro ef2i and can always briefly touch the outside of the stove without getting burned even after it has been running all day.

I'm no expert but 600°F sounds very high for a pellet. Pellets are known for their minimum clearance, but that would seem difficult with temps like that.

Shut that stove down immediatly and call your dealer! Are you nuts? If it is really running at 600F you have a serious malfunction that could burn your house down. Pellet stove clearances and vent pipe are not designed to reach this temperature for any extended periods.

My stove has been reprogrammed to run in the high heat mode, with the buttons on 9-9 the hottest temp I have measured with a infrared laser pointer thermometer was 515 deg. F. This temp was taken on the left front upper corner of the stove when facing it. This was burning Cubex pellets, the hottest I've found so far.

I wish I could get 600 deg. out of mine, but I think you might have a problem with your's if you're running the button on 1-1.

Status
Not open for further replies.