stove temperatures

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

yooper81

Jan 17, 2012
U.P Michigan
I was curious about stove operating temperatures so I compared the temps on different settings and 2 different fuels. The 2 brands of pellet were somerset and AWF. Very little variance here. Anyone familiar with the quad 2011 cb1200, with the heat setting on low the temp was around 450' and was blowing out at around 200'-225' with fan on low. With the heat on high my temp reached 530' inside and came out at around 190 with fan on high. Air temp coming out increased somewhat with the conv. blower on low. I have the "pellet gate" inside the hopper just past 1/2 way open. Not sure if these are somewhat normal temps or not so thought I would share.....

On Low, with the gate Wide Open. Using Somersets I get around 240*-250* with a k-type thermocouple 1/2" away from the left most heat exchange tube. AWF's are about 215*-220*. All of my tests are done with Fuel gate Wide open. As I ran on Low 90% of the time (stove ran constantly 24/7/ never shutting down/ Sunday cleanings only).

So your tests sound good. What are you using to measure temps?

Depending on which tube and how close or far away you put your measuring device, will depend on the temp... Does vary greatly from left tube, to right tube and whether your 1" away from tube or 2" away..

Nothing scientific about my measuring. I am only using an oven thermometer placed inside for that temp and placed hanging directly in front of louvers for the temp blowing off tubes... Right now with the heat on med. and the fan on high it reads 150'. Switched the fan to low and it is now up to 180'. I assume it is rising due to the decrease in air flow across the thermometer. picking up some radiant heat....

The slower the air travels through the exchanger, the longer it has to pick up heat. The faster it comes out, the cooler it will be. Because of less time within the tubes.

I use my Pellet furnace for the most part now. But almost all of last year, I ran the Quad on Low heat, High fan. Gives a good slow steady heat. I would run it 24/7 like that and adjust the feed gate according to outside temps (little black lines made with a Sharpie marker).

Do you run your stove on a t-stat all the time? Or do you try to run it 24/7?

I am up to 200' and holding. This fluctuates somewhat (5 deg. up or down) depending on the flame size. So I guess I'm in the ballpark?

Running off a t-stat but it is running pretty steady right now. We kind of gauge it by comfort. 74' on the 1st level and around 68' on 2nd level. last night it was 0' with a arctic windchill. Is there any merit to the statement that these run a little cleaner with the fan on high?

yooper81 said:
I am up to 200' and holding. This fluctuates somewhat (5 deg. up or down) depending on the flame size. So I guess I'm in the ballpark?

Even burning in the same stove, with the same pellets, results will vary greatly.

The only reason I measure temps is to find what burns the hottest in my stove. Some people may only get 150* air temp, others 290*. I do it for my own testing. Having the same stove, our #'s are close. But measure the temps and use those #'s to decide what burns the best in your stove.

All of J-takemans pellet testing has air temps, but those temps, I wouldn't expect out of my unit because they are completely different. He is merely telling you what they did in his unit. That pellet brand may be the hottest for him and you, but temps will still vary. Its a guide used by some of us, to make sure were getting the most bang (burn) for your buck.

Both those pellets (Somersets and AWF's) along with Pro Pellets (pellet made in Michigan) are all good brands. My favorite is still Somersets. But I bought a bunch of other brands last year when they were on sale. Thinking the prices were gonna get all jacked up this year.

yooper81 said:
Running off a t-stat but it is running pretty steady right now. We kind of gauge it by comfort. 74' on the 1st level and around 68' on 2nd level. last night it was 0' with a arctic windchill. Is there any merit to the statement that these run a little cleaner with the fan on high?

The room fan?? Or the heat level (high). Some stoves burn very dirty on low or lower settings. But Quadrafires burn.pot design and the amount of air they get ok every setting means they burn the same on Low or High heat (or Med). The ash color or glass color never changes. Stays the same. Only difference is heat output.

If you run on a lower setting, the stove runs longer to reach the temp, but that makes the room more comfortable. Running a higher setting will cause the air to heat quickly, but the items within the room dont get a good "soak temp" so it doesnt feel as comfortable.

Thats why we let it run 24/7 on low. Also saves the abuse on the ignitor a little.

DexterDay said:
The slower the air travels through the exchanger, the longer it has to pick up heat. The faster it comes out, the cooler it will be. Because of less time within the tubes.

I've been running my 1200i on medium with the feed backed all the way down. Seems to me I get more heat that way then when its on low with a higher feed rate and pellet usage seems to be lower over all that way. The convection air may not be as hot but there is more of it. The burn pot seems to stay cleaner also. Have you tried it this way?

DBCOOPER said:
DexterDay said:

I've been running my 1200i on medium with the feed backed all the way down. Seems to me I get more heat that way then when its on low with a higher feed rate and pellet usage seems to be lower over all that way. The convection air may not be as hot but there is more of it. The burn pot seems to stay cleaner also. Have you tried it this way?

Yep.... Tried it a variety of ways. There is more air recycled that way, but the higher volume of air through the pot, means that the air isnt inside the firebox as long either. On Low, the combustion blower is running its slowest, which means that air comes into the pot the slowest, but stays inside the stove the longest. Same goes with the Convection blower, its less air, but its Hotter.

Both ways work. Its a pick your posion. I prefer Low because the stove barely makes any noise, and my home is well insulated. Taking little BTU's to keep up with the Heat loss. I just need ceiling fans running on low on opposite sides of the house to keep temps even.

I use the Fahrenheit for the most part now. But the Quad will always hold a special place in my heart (1st stove and got me off the juice (LP))

I have been playing around with this thing for 2 months now and my wife says I have become obsessed. My yard in the summer and now this stove in the winter. But in the end, not 1 radiant electric base board has come on since the Quad has been in operation.... and that is money in my pocket.

Status
Not open for further replies.